Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Blue Lake 10K

As I stood waiting in the registration line, still sleepy and largely unmotivated to race at all, I couldn't decide which race to run: 5K or 10K. "If you're running the 10K, jump into this line! There's no waiting to sign up for the 10K!" Mj called out from the registration table. I took the hint and scribbled my name on the 10K sheet. At least I wouldn't have to run as fast, I thought to myself.
Since the race started at 9:30, it was almost exactly the same time (9:33am) I finished the Santa Rosa Marathon just two weeks ago. Since Matt's and my running club yearly membership allows us to run thirteen races for free each year, I take advantage of them for a myriad of reasons. Today's effort was merely to reintroduce speed into my legs.

Mile 1: 7:44

I started off at an easy effort, chatting with my race buddy, Bob through the first mile. "You're allowed to beat me today," I teased, "I'll let you." He laughed and pulled ahead of me as I slowed for a steeper downhill my sore quads didn't enjoy. My body tolerated the uphills fine, but descents appeared to be my weakness.

Mile 2: 7:50

My body struggled to settle into a cruising pace. This is always one of the biggest indicators of ongoing recovery. Bursts of energy punctuated a gradually mounting fatigue.  Even though I felt myself slowing on the long uphill portion through mile three, I found it in myself to pass a few struggling runners. Maybe I wasn't as tired as I thought? I reached the turn-around and aid station, waving to Paul guarding the water bottles. The hairpin turn took some of the momentum out of my legs and I struggled to regain it.

Mile 3: 8:08

Mile 4! Downhill!! Wheee!!! A strong fourth mile has always eluded me in 10K races, but the hill was an enormous help. I cruised along, finally relaxed enough to admire the scenery. Blue Lake, although it no longer contains a lake, is tucked in a picturesque valley within the coastal range. Blue green mountain peaks carpeted with second growth Redwood blended into the gray fog and clouds above.

Mile 4: 7:59

The course flattened out and I heard footsteps behind me. From their rhythmic consistency, I could tell the runner to whom they belonged was feeling strong. I glanced over my shoulder to see a tiny woman cruise by with perfect form. Then I recognized the woman: my MD! She's never beaten me, catch up to her, my mind instructed. So much for not racing today. I laughed a little at myself. One moment, I'm running for fun; the next, I'm a hungry competitive wolf. Despite feeling like I was slowing down, my pace began to quicken.

Mile 5: 7:54

She went on to pass half a dozen more people en route to the finish line. I was unable to catch her, but found myself comforted to see Rachele and Bob up ahead. Since I mention them frequently in my race reports, let's put their faces to names. Hanging out with my running buddies is often the main reason I run as many local races as possible.
Mr. Bob. We take turns heckling and beating each other. This year I think he's got more wins on me than I do on him. I need to fix that! ;)
Rachele. She races less frequently, but we're great at boosting each other up mid-race. She ran a half marathon and 5Mi race with me this spring.
Mile 6: 7:48

After one final turn, I headed into the straightaway approach to the finish line. I zeroed in on the 5K runners up ahead, particularly a group of women pushing jogger strollers. A double-jogger-stroller-pushing mama appeared in one of my finish shots last year. Even though I pointed out that I was finishing the longer race, my brother still teased me mercilessly over it.

I laughed a little to myself at the memory. Then my pace quickened. She wasn't going to be in my shot this time. Even though I had written off any chance of a strong finish, it was working! Motivation comes from the strangest of places. Thanks, Chris.

Mile 6-6.2: 1:31 (7:05/mi)

I crossed the finish line with not an ounce of energy left. Mission accomplished, my finish was also free of a jogger stroller:

49:09
7:54/mi

Even though it's just 10 seconds faster than marathon pace, it was a solid workout effort. Contrary to how I've trained in the past, this fall season will officially be a trail season. I have a few trail races planned and many more within the club's circuit. As for goal races, I have two: a 5K on Thanksgiving and a 50K in early December. I'll further detail those plans in another post.

This race also appeared on the local news. With a recent influx of younger runners, the story was a feature in their "Sporting Youth" series. You can watch the video here. The kid interviews are cute. :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Solid, solid effort. Nice job, lady! :)

Karen said...

Thanks Jill!