Despite the luxurious nature of car camping, I spent most of the night tossing and turning in our corner of the Albee Creek Campground. It was one of those mornings where you wake up wondering if you slept at all because you have such vivid and frequent memories of not sleeping. My first fully caffeinated coffee in months did little to counteract the sleepiness.
The sleepy grove of trees at the base of Grasshopper trail suddenly transformed as my small army of volunteers went to work. As race director, I made it my job to not have a specific job other than starting the race. The idea was that if someone needed help somewhere, I could be that person. Everything went smoothly. People showed up with their required water containers and soon they were off.
 |
| Y.Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
Once again the little grove of Redwood trees became quiet. A few spectators huddled in blankets reading books at the base of a giant tree. Soon the runners would return, but for now, the forest was serene.
The registration table transformed into the aid table and we set up the finish line. Even though I now consider myself a local, I was still impressed: that is one hell of a finish line. Runners told me later that they could see the finish clock between the trees about half a mile from the finish line.
The first few runners filtered in with perfect form and determined looks on their faces. They looked like the first four miles, almost all steep uphill, had been easy. What impressed me most was the variety of people this race compiled. Our youngest finisher of the day (10.5 mi race) was Tanya's son Connor, still 15 years old.
 |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
The oldest was John, 88 years old (also 10.5 mi race). He's a club regular and finishes all sixteen club races (minus the ultra) each year. A few years ago, they had to add another age division (M85-89) because nobody had completed the club's competitive circuit in that age group before. I want to be doing this kind of stuff when I'm his age, don't you?
 |
| Y.Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
Runners traveled from near and far too! Bob, the racing buddy I sometimes mention, lives nearby and runs his weekly long run on the roads through this park.
 |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
The racer that traveled the furthest was named David and he was visiting from Belgium!! Can you believe that? I still can't!
 |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
Soon a steady stream of runners filtered in. As I dashed around checking on the finish line, food, and aid personnel, I was constantly stopped by club friends that had finished the 10.5 miler. They loved my race! Many of them were new to trail running and nearly half of the race finishers crossed the line with bloody knees or shirts covered in dirt. A few helpful volunteer firemen came to their aid and patched them up. One runner had a gash so deep that she had to go to the ER for stitches on her way home. It could have been the delirium from blood loss, but even she left with a smile on her face.
It was interesting to note the difference in remarks from the 10.5 miler and 30K runners. Through Lanore's scowl as she crossed the finish line, she gasped, "Karen, you're cruel!!" Many others said that even though the course was breathtaking, it was really, really hard. Yeah, guys, I know. :) It made a few of them feel better to know that I ran the 30K course both Friday and Sunday to add/remove markers. At least we shared that pain, right?
 |
| 10.5 Mile elevation chart. Mile 3 gains almost 1,000 ft. by itself. |
 |
| 30K elevation chart. Miles 10-12 were the worst here, very steep with loose gravel. |
My favorite comment of the day was from my running buddy, Nikki. This run was her longest distance run ever. As she crossed the finish line, all she said was, "I'm going to go home and buy a pie....then eat the whole thing at once." I couldn't imagine having my first 18 mile run be this hilly.
That afternoon, we packed up supplies and headed back to the campground for the night. I had been so busy the whole afternoon that I didn't realize how hungry I was until I took a short rest in the tent. Using my best pouting face, I convinced Matt to serve dinner right to my sleeping bag. It was the best.
Perfect ending to one of my favorite days ever!! :)
6 comments:
Awesome, so glad everything went so well and that everyone had a great time, Karen (I mean, Mrs. Race Director). Love the photo of you eating in your tent, lol. We're totally coming down for the race next year. And I'm going to be that 88-year-old still running trails with my gnarly old knees one of these days. What better way to spend old age, eh? Cheers and congrats and your first race directing stint.
Congrats on the completion of a successful race! Looks like a beautiful place to run.
That looks so great, congratulations on your first RD experience!!
YAY! what an amazing day!
i can't believe you were able to soak in so much about your runners' stories. it's amazing to hear about all the different people that came to run your race.
Wow. I hope to be that awesome when I am 88. There is a lady at the local series I am doing who always wins the award in the 70-74 age group and jokes it is because she is the only one in it. She looks 50something tops and so athletic. Guess it speaks for what running does for us as we age. Also amazing job as a race director. Looks fabulous and beautiful. Wish I could have beamed in and done it, the shorter version of course, we have no hills here in the LowCountry.
Cinthia, I think you'd love it! I'd love to be that 88 year old someday too.
Linda, It is beautiful. I'm sure you'd have a fantastic time photographing the Redwoods.
Heather, Thanks! It was fun :)
Dawn, The running club here is small enough that people get to know each other well.
Abby, You could handle the hills here. The running club has some really great role models for longevity in running, I hope I'm the same way!
Post a Comment