Low clouds and fog spread through the Elk River valley. A damp chill hung in the air. These gloomy mornings always tempt me to take a rest day and cozy up with my slippers and tea. Instead of giving into this temptation, Matt filled me with strawberry crepes and coffee and soon motivation to run had returned.
The first long run after a marathon always holds a special feeling of closure. No matter how the race has gone, I remember the miles, early bedtimes, the hard work, and moments of doubt. I reflect on the lessons I've learned along the way, vowing to learn from them.
For this particular marathon, my main lesson has been in fueling, Had I not allowed my feelings to flow freely the first few days after the race, I may not have developed the resolve to correct them the next time. The best way for me to grow is to fully acknowledge my emotions and then move on. This time, it allowed me to get good and pissed off at myself for making such a foolish move. With each step through the towering ancient forest, I felt that anger slip away.
Matt and I agreed that our bodies felt similarly. Quads still sore. Check. Broken gas pedal, no acceleration powers. Check. Silly euphoric grin that only comes from a sweaty day in the Redwoods. Check.
Contrary to what I expected, this most recent race has only increased my confidence in the 3:30ish marathon. My legs have it in them. After fixing a few fueling glitches, it will come. When my mind is ready to train hard again, I will go after it. Until then, you'll find me hanging with the Redwoods.





9 comments:
You know, you ran a 3:36 which so many of us can never do. I hope you can focus on how fit you are and how much you have achieved. (I hope this isn't annoying. Whenever I say anything negative, for example about my job, my husband says, "you could be working at a steel mill." His latest is, "you oould be a prisoner of the Taliban.") I would really love to be able to run a marathon again. I can't, so I like reading about people who do. You are so young--there is so much time!
That is "could" not oould.
You definitely have that 3:30 in you. And the drive + new knowledge which will balance out to a great run I believe. Just enjoy the time in between training.
Jealous of them redwoods :)
Mary, I see what you're trying to say about focusing on the good. However, if I'm disappointed for a few days because something I've worked my butt off for hasn't materialized, I think that's okay. I want my blog to reflect all parts of my running life and low moments are part of that package.
Many of my friends run times I can only dream of achieving. When they have disappointing days, saying, "Oh boo hoo, you ran such a shitty 3 hour marathon", makes them feel bad about being disappointed. Instead, I think of how I feel when I have a bad day, not the fact that they're sad about (to me, an incredible) 3:00:03 marathon finish. Nobody should ever be told that what they're feeling is wrong or inappropriate. I'm sorry your husband makes those sorts of comments regularly, that is annoying and frankly, a bit insensitive.
Sonia, Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying myself right now. Running without a training plan feels light and playful. :)
what a perfect come back! there is no therapy like running therapy. i feel like everything looks better after a run. especially a trail run.
Yes, your legs and the rest of you have it!
Ohhh, you're running long again! So glad it's going well. Glad you pulled through the marathon without serious harm, and that you don't have serious blood sugar issues. I have bona fide low blood sugar and have to eat "real" food instead of Gus and gels, which really sucks since I don't get that instant energy jolt, lol. What works for me--Z Bars, you know, the ones for kids. I break off pieces, wrap them in plastic wrap and stuff them down my sports bra. (Added bonus: The odd looks when people see me grope my bra in the middle of a run.)
You will totally knock out a 3:30 marathon soon, I have no doubt about that. What I like most about your blog, though, is that you concentrate more of the joys of running than just a time goal.
Thanks for that, and happy running.
Dawn, I couldn't agree more! Nature always puts me in the right mood.
Thank you Cinthia! I think I'd burn out quickly if I only focused on pace. It would be exhausting to try and get faster all the time.
I'm experimenting with solid food right now, I'll check out the kids bars. I tried running with food stuffed in my bra once. The wrapper seams chafed something awful. The plastic wrap sounds like a much better idea.
Post a Comment