Sunday, December 02, 2012

Little D Update

My cousin, Little D. lost her arm on Nov. 15 to Synovial Cell Sarcoma.  The day she returned home from the hospital, she was already adapting to her new lifestyle.  She climbed up onto furniture using her feet and mouth when necessary.  She resumed playing with her siblings.  She acted as if nothing had changed.  “We are very glad to be home. The kids are doing great with her. I told her tonight she was brave, so now she is saying brave, brave, brave. Yes you are my sweet girl,” her mom said.

It is so wonderful to hear she is recovering well.  My heart breathed a sigh of relief to see photos of her smiling and playing with her siblings. 
Hayden photo.

Pathology reports indicated that the tumor had grown back and the doctor reassured them that they had made the right decision.  And this year was an especially thankful Thanksgiving holiday.

I think that sometimes people underestimate the power of the human spirit.  We can adapt and overcome obstacles.  Sometimes we have no other choice.  It only makes us stronger and Little D is already proving that she is one tough little lady.  With the family's permission, I invite you to further follow their journey here.

Thank you, readers, for your continued prayers and thoughts.  I will be thinking of them through the race on Sunday, drawing strength through their example.

4 comments:

XLMIC said...

What a little beauty. Her darling face and the spirit you describe make me want to know more. I'm off to read that link.

Hope things were okay for you out there today...it was miserable from a spectator's standpoint! I was thinking of you!

Cinthia said...

Hugs to Little D, and also to her family. What a special girl. Maybe she will be a marathon runner. Anything is possible.

Scott said...

I've read the post several times. Searching for the right thing to say. A kind of awe overwhelms me. Little D. Brave,brave,brave.

Jill said...

This is a very touching post, thanks for sharing it - it certainly makes you stop and think a bit before you whine about something senseless. I hope the best for Little D - she is definitely brave!

How did CIM go?