Monday, June 18, 2012

Love

“Nobody is going to want you”, my beautiful friends said to me, “You’re too big and bulky, sleek and lightweight is in now. No matter how wonderful your voluptuous exterior was considered years ago, now your look is all washed up.” All lined up beside me, their thoughts echoed throughout the room when a woman walked in.

She glanced around the room at me and my friends, marveling at my thinner friends that mocked me just moments ago. Maybe they were right, I thought, maybe nobody does want me. Then she turned away. I choked back tears as I saw the brown ponytail lady disappear. I watched other people pass through the room through my curtain of tears.

The brown haired girl returned, this time with a friend. She again glanced at my friends first, wrinkling her forehead as she thought. I scanned her face. She appeared to be young, but age lines had already appeared in the best place first: the lines one gets from smiling a lot. Her dark eyes shifted around the room before they locked on me.

 She and her friend sized me up, “What do you think?” she asked him, “Right for me?” He took me in, scanning up and down my body, and examining my sturdy exterior and rugged look. “Perfect. Looks like everything you would want in an adventure buddy: versatility to handle urban and rural adventures; comfort for when times get rough; and just a little bit of flare to complement your personality.”

She gently embraced me as we left the room together. I didn’t look back as my friends murmured to each other. She picked me. I found someone to love me and spend time with me. I am so fortunate to find someone that loves me.

We just celebrated our 100 mile anniversary together! I am so happy and look forward to many more miles with my wonderful Karen!

Love,
Her Brooks Cascadias

3 comments:

Danni said...

I actually just ordered a pair today believe it or not.

Jill said...

Hahaha...you actually had me worried someone could be so cruel at first :). I have the Cascadias and love them, too! They have such cute colors now. Happy Anniversary!!! :)

bobbi said...

I have been lusting after the cascadias :)