Friday, June 29, 2012

Cloudy Week

Cloudy Weak Week

Even though Matt and I are running a 50K trail race in a couple of weeks, this is technically our off-season. We like to pile on the miles, running speed workouts when we feel like it and in a pretty loose setup, more akin to fartlek than intervals.

The last two weeks have been low energy for us. Matt had a pretty tough flu and passed it to me. We both endured four days of 101F fevers and I’m still feeling a little rundown. The congestion and coughing have continued long enough that I found myself doing internet searches comparing symptoms of the flu to pneumonia. Blogging seems to be impossible. Every time I sit down to write, I realize that my thoughts are still lodged up there with the phlegm and I find my brain in an overwhelming fog. Whatever thoughts are up there don’t want to be released just yet. One would think they’d emit a tiny bit with each blow into the tissue, but that seems to be the thing my sinuses guard the most.
 Matt and I take anniversary photos each year.  One day, it will be a lot of fun to look back on the locations 
and fun outfits/hairstyles from each one.  This is the garden with all of our veggies, Matt's idea.  He's so proud of this little garden.

I felt pretty good this morning and although I am still blowing my nose a lot, I tried out some speed on my run today. Matt and I did six sprints (probably around 200m) over the course of a four mile run. I felt well for most of the run except for the recoveries after the sprints. I coughed, sniffled, and almost felt like I was drowning. It seems like I’m not quite as recovered as I thought. I’m going to continue with my scheduled miles but pull the high intensity from them. Slow and easy, to break up the congestion, not make it worse. I’m finally able to hear out of my right ear again, so progress is being made.

Matt and I had a few visitors with us this week, so we were constantly on the move, which only served to delay my progress, but as always, it was worth it. I’ll write more about that later.

I’m running a 5K race on July 4 and was hoping for a PR performance, but we’ll see how I’m feeling then. No promises.

1 comment:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Glad you're being smart about recovering after being sick. Hope you're feeling better and enjoying having some guests to visit!
:)