Sunday, January 29, 2012

Testing out MRP on a long run


January 23, Long Run

With just one short break between weather systems, Monday was the perfect time for a long run.  The downpour had stopped and so had the 40mph winds.  When have I ever been this lucky?

The route was the usual with moderate hills.  Basically, nothing exciting about city streets so I’ll cut to the juicy stuff.  The splits. 

I planned to run the first half easy, six miles at a 9:00/mi and then pick it up.  I wasn’t entirely sure what would come of the rest of the run, but I would shoot for MRP (8:12).  The first mile going fast was difficult.  It almost appeared that my body was resisting the faster running.  The turnover just wasn’t there.  And a steep hill that goes down 75 feet and then back up within a quarter mile.  Adjusting to the long and short strides at the bottom of the ravine always makes my legs ask “What the hell are you doing to me?!”.  But somehow I found my stride and came up with splits like this:

12 miles, 1:44.05, 8:40/mi.
First 6 miles: 54:19, 9:03/mi.
Second 6 miles: 49:41, 8:16/mi.
Splits: 8:45, 8:12, 8:19, 8:14, 8:00.

I don’t plan on running MRP in this context often, but on days that I feel really “On”, I might just hit it hard and see what happens.  This day, it was almost cliché awesomeness.  All sunshine and rainbows, baby.

1 comment:

bobbi said...

can't play the video, for some reason...

I LOVE runs like that - and why NOT hit it hard when you are feeling it?