Monday, January 30, 2012

Ann Arbor Six


Dressing for a run at 30F is something I haven’t done in almost a year.  As is usually the case, I was over-dressed.  Running along the B2B trail that follows the Huron River in Ann Arbor, I enjoyed the cooler temperatures.  For me, running at 30-50F is absolutely perfect.  Within a mile, my nose was bright red, still sensitive from a good frostbite I got during college when I rode my bike to the store one below zero night in college without a scarf.  Enough years have passed that it isn’t very painful, but it ensures a red clown nose.

After a full travel day and over 15 hrs of flying and layovers, I could definitely feel it in my legs.  They were heavy and stiff.  I met resistance with every step.  For the pace I was keeping, it felt really hard.  Ahh, jet lag, how much I hate you.  I am not used to sitting that long.  The run felt very much like the early morning ones at home except for one notable difference: the pavement.  Even though it was just below freezing, I could notice a marked difference in the firmness of the asphalt. 

Craig showed us around on the trail near his house.  I was immediately envious of all the wide sidewalks and paved trails to run on.  It was a road-runner’s paradise.  Before we left for the run, he called us Wimpy Californians.  But by halfway on his ride, he was the one complaining of the cold.  It is hard to dress for a bike ride at a runner’s pace.  One has to dress the same as they would sitting outside in the wind rather than a bike ride.  Even though we understood, we still had to give him crap for his whining.
 
A small pond was frozen over, but the river remained open to the swimming geese.  I keep forgetting how truly mild the winters are in this area (although this year it is even more mild).  Moving around through such varying climates, I can barely remember what winter felt like for each place.  I am always surprised that this part of Michigan gets little snow.  My parents’ home in the U.P. is so different.  Same state, but the seasons are so drastically different.  All the norms blend together and I never really know what to pack on a vacation here, let alone plan for a run. 
 
Six miles and about 55 minutes.  Not too bad for how horrible I felt starting out.

And I still have a few more runs to get my outfit right before Matt and I head out for a 30 miler sometime in the next week.  I’m looking forward to it, I missed the chilly winter air.

3 comments:

Ewa said...

Biking in the cold is a challenge. I am still to figure out all the dressing tricks.
Hope you will get some more snow to train on. Our weather forecast sucks! Sun, sun, and then more sun and I am heading for Tahoe.

Mary said...

Alaska will feel really cold! I like about 50 degrees...that is about perfect.

Beccarigg said...

Oh my gosh, you look so cute in your warm running gear! (Even if you did feel overdressed) Seriously that picture makes me want to go out and by new gear because mine is in desperate need of an upgrade!

It's always hard to figure out what to wear in cold weather. Usually if it's 30-40 I can get a away with a long sleeve tech shirt and my running tights but the other day the wind chill made it feel way colder and I almost froze my arms off. Guess it's all about the layering. : ) Good luck on your 30 miler! Can't even wrap my mind around running distances like that : )