We decided to hike on the sand dunes. Michigan has dunes along the Great Lakes and Matt and I have hiked on soft sand. It was very slow going. I also hate having stuff on my feet, so the sand filling my shoes drove me insane. If it were just a little bit warmer, I would have gone barefoot.
Fall colors accented the brown sand. I feel blessed to experience fall three times this year. It is my favorite season, now that I know that what comes after doesn't include deep seasonal depression like it did in Alaska.
We came across few people, which was odd, given the proximity to town. Maybe they were all afraid of the rain starting up again. Matt and I had a great time. We're both absolutely mesmerized by the size of the waves. We shouldn't be surprised, being that it IS the Pacific Ocean out there, but even on calm days, 10 foot waves are common. With our growing collection of cameras, Matt's interest in photography has blossomed. He takes some pretty photos, too.
We walked back on the firm sand, right along the water. Larger waves pushed water up to our feet. We ran away from it, trying to stay dry. I brought four pair of shoes along on our move, so these can't get wet, especially since one other pair was already at home, drying out. The size of the driftwood was impressive : we also found two rubber covered beams from a dock somewhere. How far did this travel? The amount of trash that washed up on shore was surprising too. And this is just the stuff that floats. What does the bottom of the ocean look like??, eeeewwwww.
This was my last shot before we returned to the car. The sun promptly disappeared and the rain began again. Thanks, Mother Nature, for the few hours break from the rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment