I left the UP on Wednesday, ready to pick Matt up at the airport. Just as I was going to hit the road, he called with news : he wouldn't be arriving until Thursday morning. Instead of nixing my plans, I decided to go to Green Bay for some shopping before heading to Grandma's for the night. My grandma and uncle run a dairy farm, milking 80 cows between the two of them. Needless to say, they spend a lot of time in the barn. That morning, one of the barn cats brought out a new litter of kittens. She refused to feed them. So I got to do it. Each kitten fit in my hand and they made me seriously consider adopting another cat (sorry Zoey) upon my return home.
The next morning, I picked up a very tired Matt. I fed him and filled him with coffee and he was somewhat revived. A night of sleeping on the benches in O'Hare will take the life out of anybody. Our lunch was at a place called the Kitchen Table. I ate here a lot when I was going through chemo and radiation treatments, all various stages of being sick and recovery...for six years. One of the waitresses came up to me and asked how I was doing. I couldn't believe that she remembered me. In the last few years, I've returned only once a year. :) I'm doing great!! The doctors were happy to see that I was doing well. Dr. L. said he hoped that he'd never see me again. I told that to Dr. M and Brenda at my next appointment, and they sounded sort of sad. I clarified that I could see them anywhere outside of the office. They seemed okay with that. They also had a CANCER CURE party for me with chocolate cake. It was great! Then Matt and I returned to Grandma's where we finished off the cake and had a bottle of sparkling juice to celebrate.
Then it was time to get serious for the race. We headed to Sparta to visit my Grandma and Aunt Jeanne. Grandma recently had surgery and is staying with Jeanne until her foot heals enough for her to walk up and down stairs (probably another 3 mo.). It was very convenient to visit her there, just 30 min from where our race was taking place.
No comments:
Post a Comment