Social media is a funny thing. From the moment you sign up, you're encouraged to share. That's the whole point isn't it? But then the more you post, the more you're encouraged to post. If you don't share anything, the whole exchange makes you feel like a stalker, just watching others' lives without contributing your own and reciprocating. Then friends tell you about their favorite platform, a different one from where you've been sharing and connecting already. So you join. And then at the end of twenty-seventeen, you're suddenly overwhelmed by the number of accounts you have and cross posting, and where to share this, and when to share that. It's sort of ridiculous to think about, honestly.
![]() |
| Lunch on the beach with my book. |
At the first of the year, I also decided to spend less time mindlessly perusing these remaining accounts and carried my tablet along with a book. Once I consciously noticed I was just scrolling without engaging, I put the tablet down and picked up my book. So far this year, I have read twenty-six books. By comparison, I finished twenty-six in 2016 and thirty-three in 2017 respectively.
An unintended result was the neglect of this blog. My posts became less frequent. My interest in creating ebbed and flowed. Then I realized it had been two months since my last post. I considered writing one last goodbye post and closing up this blog forever.
However, I'm not ready to do that quite yet. The truth is, writing is a part of who I am. I truly enjoy writing and putting my thoughts into words. Proof of that is in nearly a decade of childhood journals I have tucked in a box in my garage or the fifteen years of blogs that I have archived here and elsewhere on the internet.
Posting may continue to be sporadic but I'd like to continue sharing my adventures in running and hiking with you. Thanks for sticking around. :)

7 comments:
I've thought about giving up my blog too. I get fewer comments and while I don't write for the comments, the whole point for me is to know others are reading. Otherwise why bother? I could just write in a hard copy journal. I have missed your posts and wondered how you were, and Hazel! I also feel conflicted by social media. I'm older than you and my generation has also taken to it. It's supremely annoying to me to be in a room or on a hike especially with someone who carts their phone and is constantly looking at it. On the other hand my books would not sell nearly so well without it, and nobody writes letters. I miss letters.
I'm glad you're still out there! A lot of bloggers I follow seem to be shutting down their blogs. I enjoy reading your adventures, so please keep posting, even if it's sporadic!
Phew! At the beginning of this post I thought it WAS your goodbye post. I would have been genuinely sad (even though I love your IG posts too). You and a handful of others are the last bastion of blogs I read. I enjoy the way you spin a tale and bring me along on the places you visit. I promise to not whine about sporadic posts as long as you keep posting! :)
I miss letters too!
I am reading, but terrible about comments. Which also comes from the fact that now I am reading on my phone and I hate typing comments on my phone (old lady eyes and everything- I invariably make some embarrassing typo). I need to be better about that...
I think about leaving social media all the time. I'd quit FB but it is my one way of keeping in touch with my friends from my past. That is important to me. I unliked tons of pages like it was a job and my feed is so much better now. IG and my blog are forever entwined. I'm not ready to give up the blog yet because right now it is presenting me some interesting opportunities. It's interesting to see how my goals and focus have evolved with blogging. My diagnosis of RA certainly changed things but oddly enough, it has gained me a whole new audience. I'm enjoying the focus on inspiration and empowerment!
I"m glad you haven't shut down your blog. I enjoy reading about your adventures. I hope you start posting more again!
I certainly understand why you’ve been posting less (I haven’t blogged in like two years!) but I always enjoy reading what you have to say. I’m also very impressed by your book count.
Glad you're back. Twitter is for those wanting validation and trying to make a clever comment. Facebook is an insidious and ugly political cesspool that will make you lose your faith in humanity. On the other hand,I find Blogger to be the one venue where people tend to post about their topics in the most unsullied, honest, and natural way. It's great for the simple purpose of recording and sharing without all the unneeded like and dislike judgemental garbage. I truly hope you stick around. Also, how's Hazel coming along?
Post a Comment