Summertime in the mountains is fleeting. The snow hangs on well into the summertime months. Then as soon as I get the hang of my packing system and commuting to the mountains on the weekends, the wildfires spark and poof, the season is over. This summer, we managed to squeeze three trips into that brief window before chillier fall weather took hold.
After a trips back to the Midwest in June and July, it felt like summer was almost over by the time we finally got our packs loaded up and pointed the car inland. We kissed Zoey and the chickens goodbye for a brief trip. The Trinity Alps, the nearest mountain range to our home is typically two or three hours by car. Due to a slide that came down on the highway in 2016, there's still an area of long-term construction and it takes about an hour more than before. Ugh.
 |
| Trip coordinator finalizing the details. |
We spent too many hours in the car, navigating first through construction, then twenty miles down a gravel road. As I tucked myself into bed at a campground near the trailhead, I hoped it would be worth it.
The forecast predicted abundant sunshine and temperatures in the nineties. We were up before the sun to try and get to camp before the day really heated up. We set out on the trail just as the sun began to filter into the valley. Like most trails in the Trinities, we had to work for our views straight from the car. We ascended some five thousand feet in three miles before we found our first views. After that, the terrain leveled out a little bit and we were treated to some spectacular views.
 |
| Almost an alpine view |
Since this weekend fell on a true Saturday-Sunday weekend, we weren't sure whether we'd find a campsite. Normally Matt's weekends fall during the week, so it was new for us to encounter other hikers on the trail.
The remaining miles to the lake flew by as we admired granite peaks all around us, clusters of wildflowers, and kept our eyes peeled for the cirques that would contain those namesake Caribou Lakes.
 |
| Can you spot the lakes? |
I jumped into princess mode as we looked for a campsite at the first lake. Too many people. Too brushy. Too rocky.
 |
| Snowfall Lake and Little Caribou Lake. |
Eventually we settled on a private spot on a lake about half a mile off the main trail. It had gorgeous views of Little Caribou Lake and easy access to water near the campsite and perhaps most importantly to us: trees to hang our hammock. Another plus was that we weren't piled on top of any other camps.
 |
| Campsite perfection! |
We spent the afternoon napping in the hammock, reading, swimming, and lounging around. That night, we spotted a family of marten rushing back and forth from a tree near our campsite to the stream. I had never seen one before so it was quite the treat to watch them run and play.
 |
| I loved watching these guys. |
 |
| Ginger Husband hiding in the shade. |
 |
| Perfect bikini weather |
 |
| Double hammock was worth the extra pack weight. Perfect for naps. |
 |
| Can you tell I have no plans to leave anytime soon? |
The next morning, we were once again up before the sun. We welcomed the slight chill in the air as we set off from camp. Our goal for the day was to reach Sawtooth Ridge and check out the view from the other side.
 |
| Up with the sun and some of the smoke |
We made our way to the upper set of lakes, skirting around tents that people had pitched directly in the trail. What the heck? I admit I wasn't exactly sympathetic to the fact that we woke up the whole lot of them.
 |
| Big Caribou Lake |
Passing through a few patches of snow, it appeared someone had built numerous rock cairns. We followed them for awhile before we realized they were taking us completely off trail. After awhile, it was easy to figure out where the trail should be and we eventually made our way on the correct path.
 |
| Steeper than it looked. |
Ascending the north side of the ridge was a bit challenging. Both steep and snow covered in places, we were grateful to have brought some extra traction for our shoes. I found it ironic that I was hiking through snow in shorts and a tank top.
By mid-morning, we were peering over the other side of the ridge and into the Stuart Fork drainage. We hiked as far as we could safely get along the ridge and were treated to views of Emerald and Sapphire Lakes. One day I need to make it all the way up to those lakes too.
 |
| Sawtooth Ridge |
 |
| Emerald and Sapphire Lakes |
We had a quick snack while we took in the view and then retreated the way we came.
 |
| My happy place! with Big Caribou Lake |
 |
| Ridgeline flowers |
 |
| Northern girl forever. Even eighty is too hot. |
By noon, we were back at camp, swinging carefree from the double hammock. Matt and I passed the time the same as the previous afternoon: swimming, napping, and reading. Time moves more slowly out in the wilderness and for quality couple's time, I'm a grateful.
 |
| Swimmin' action shot |
 |
| Pond near our campsite. Gorgeous but far too many mosquitoes to stay long. |
 |
| Alpenglow |
That night the smoke from a nearby fire began to pour in and creep up the canyon. We woke up to hazy views and I was happy to break down camp and get back to the car before my asthma had a chance to flare up.
 |
| This is my favorite time of day when I'm backpacking. |
 |
| Burn scar and more smoke coming in from the west. |
As we drove the twenty mile gravel road back out to the highway, we both agreed: It was worth it.
6 comments:
Wow. I'm going full princess here--I'm not much of a camper. But I think I could become one, if I was able to spend time at Big or Little Caribou lake.
So so beautiful!
Looks amazing!
Beautiful scenery and lakes. Glad you were able to carve out a quick trip to the mountains.
I need to get better at hanging out, clearly. Looks like a great spot.
Wendy, i understand. I definitely do more camping living in the west than I ever did growing up. It's not as nice in a campground, which is mostly what's avaluable where you're at.
Yes! Bobbi and Molly, you both should come visit!
Thanks, Linda! This pretty scenery practically photographs itself.
I think the first step is to buy a hammock, Mary! That was where it started for me. Also very warm mountain afternoons that force me to hunker down.
Post a Comment