Families can compete in categories of two, three or four generations. I always feel a little sad that my mom will never be able to share this with me because she's two thousand miles away, but a special race reserved just for all of my favorite club ladies really helps make up for it.
![]() |
| My gal pals and their moms. Rachel's mom adopted me for the day. :) Kristal M, photo. |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
The countdown begins and suddenly we're off. With nobody out ahead of me to swerve around, I start off way too fast, keeping pace with some Humboldt Roller Derby girls. Once nearly the entire packs drops off, I survey the competition. Tami and Kristal are up ahead. They always beat me handily. I know I can't hang with them so when I'm still not far behind after the half mile mark, I make sure to slow it down a little bit.
Mile 1: 6:56
Since the very beginning of the race, I've sensed someone tucked in just off my right shoulder. As I round another turn, I look back to see who it is. I'm not surprised at all to see that it's Laura. This year, we've taken turns beating one another. It's been nice having female competition lately, especially someone who is not in my age group, hehe.
![]() |
| Cute calf, taken on Friday afternoon. |
Mile 2: 7:16
Now that we're out in the open, cattle grazing on both sides in great green pastures, I realize the headwind. Laura mirrors my zigzags. She's so close that I can hear her breathing. I slow to let her take the lead. She slows too. I can feel my lungs tighten up. Wind triggers my asthma and I can feel myself struggling. I try to speed up, angry that she's making me do all the work. She follows.
Arghhh. Interestingly enough, Matt has a guy who does this to him too. Once the guy out-kicked him for the win. He was not pleased. I'm determined to shake Laura. She is not going to beat me today. I round another corner and now the wind is at my back.
Mile 3: 7:16
Suddenly the breathing right behind me stops. I can't tell if it's because of the change in wind direction that I can't hear it or because she's dropped back. Either way, I've just spotted a roller derby skater up ahead. I don't know if they were assigned to help push us along or if she senses my desperate need for company herself, but she drops back to let me catch up.
![]() |
| Mile 3, taken Friday afternoon. Rachel and I wore the same shirt by accident. It's weird how often this happens. |
Mile 4: 7:07
The course merges into a large pack of two milers. Just as it is when we lap people in the Turkey Trot, all of them are walking, focusing more on their family outing than the fact that people who are racing for time are behind them. I had mentally prepared myself for this inevitability, but to my surprise, my roller derby escort is parting the pack straight down the middle. "Runner coming through!" she hollers out. We make the same turns as we had in the beginning of the race. I'm still right behind my pacer girl. When we reach the final straightaway, she turns back and engages with me for the first time, "You're doing great! Almost done!" Thanks Peaches!
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
The last hundred yards is uphill and I can feel my form collapsing beneath me. All I can do is hang on.
Mile 5: 6:49
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
35:24
7:04/mi.
3rd place overall, 1st place F30-34
I pause my watch, doubled over as I catch my breath. A few moments later, I finally get the chance to look down at it. Not only have I knocked ninety seconds from my previous PR (36:52), I've beaten the scary goal McMillan set for me.
![]() |
| Top 3 ladies. Tami B. photo. |
Up next: Summertime goals.





3 comments:
Congrats on your race! You are so fast! I love the tradition of this race, celebrating women on Mother's Day!
Honestly, I don't believe in the age related slowdown. It's so complex with running, how you've treated your body, genetics, when you started running, desire to keep doing speedwork (I think this is the main reason I've slowed down. Just not worth it to me). Anyway, I love the roller derby girls! And congratulations.
Thanks Wendy! I love it too. It almost makes up for the fact that I'm away from my own mom on Mother's Day.
Mary, I know it's there, but it's definitely different for everyone. Hopefully all those factors you've listed leave me with many more years of fast running ahead.
Post a Comment