In an effort to make the most of our expensive and exhausting flights east, we once again took a few days to explore before we headed home. Since our trip to Maine last time was so heavily clouded with naps and boxes of tissues as we battled a cold, we decided to go there again.
This time, the weather wasn't so cooperative. Instead of sunshine and spring flowers, it was rainy and foggy. Nevertheless, we live on the perpetually foggy coast where it rains for six months straight. Instead of Maine feeling exotic, it felt like home. We settled right into the fabric of everyday and made our way up and down the coast, stopping to refuel every couple of hours with Dunkin Donuts coffee.
Our first stop was in Freeport. We decided that walking the day after a marathon was the best way to recover, so we hopped from outlet shop to outlet shop, stopping only for snacks. Both of us were bottomless pits on Tuesday, it was kind of ridiculous. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to find a Dairy Queen to celebrate our finishes, but we did happen upon a cupcake place. We split this delicious raspberry chocolate cupcake and it was an acceptable substitute.
The next day, we meandered up the coast, deciding we would check out something that's not common on our foggy coast: lighthouses. I don't remember the name of this one or where it was, but damn, it was about the windiest and coldest place I've ever experienced in just a light fleece and raincoat.
We speed hiked (a relative term given the state of our legs, especially Matt, who was still dragging his right one around behind him) out the trail to the lighthouse, climbed the steps, took a few photos and then quickly retreated to our car.
Instead of spending more time out in the wind, we found a place that served lobster rolls and enjoyed the views from the safe side of a large picture window. Gray spring days are always nicer this way.
That night, we dropped in on one of my favorite bloggers, Sadie. A kindred spirit, we spent the night enjoying dinner, a few ciders, and the company of my east coast friend and her beau. The next morning, she took us on one of her favorite hikes. We climbed to a lookout that promised views of Penobscot Bay and all the little coastal islands. That day though, while not rainy, was very foggy and the view was, um, gone. Then we took a wrong turn and added a couple of bonus miles. It was perfect though as we chatted about all things running, especially the mental trials of marathon training.
Thursday night, we holed up in a town that shares the same moniker as Matt's hometown. Once again, our host apologized for the unusual gloomy weather. We told them it was fine, then went on a hunt for coffee. That would turn out to be the key theme to our first week post-marathon: a constant imbibing of coffee.
On Friday morning, Matt's leg was feeling well enough to coax him out for a couple of miles.
We went for two miles along the waterfront and past some cute homes. Then we checked out of our hotel and headed south once again.
We stopped at one more lighthouse. This time it wasn't as miserable so we lingered a bit. Then we ate lunch at a tiny hole in the wall place that served $5 sandwiches. I didn't expect much given the low price, but it turned out to be on homemade whole wheat bread. Yum!
The last stop on our road trip was just across the border in New Hampshire. My high school friend Jill (different Jill from our last visit to Maine) teaches at the university there. We had dinner with Jill and her fiance and for a few hours, it felt like no time had passed and we were back at home in Michigan.
Saturday, the final morning of our trip, we ran a 5K with Jill. She had signed up well in advance and told us the course was pretty. That was an understatement. It took very little arm twisting to get us to join in. Despite being another foggy, gloomy day, the course was a gorgeous cross country run through the woods, over a few military bunkers, and through the sand next to splashing waves. We wore our Boston shirts in the same way that people wear the little heart sticker after giving blood: "Please be nice to me today, my legs are still broken from the marathon." I wish I had run with a camera because every little turn held another picturesque view. I've never had a 5K pass so quickly and pleasantly! And best of all, we got to say we "raced" in New Hampshire.
Our flight home that afternoon was a pleasant surprise too. We were upgraded to Economy Plus so we got extra leg room. And then as if the universe was cutting our tired selves a break, we experienced no delays and even touched down at our home airport thirty minutes ahead of schedule!














4 comments:
I'd say running the Boston Marathon gives you a license to eat whatever you want! Nice to do a little touring of the NE while you're there.
Doesn't it feel good to just run for fun and eat?
Yum, that cupcake looks delicious! Congrats on a great Boston btw, I can't believe you raced a 5K only a few days afterwards!
Linda, It was beautiful, almost a little surreal though. Their foggy days looked similar to ours on the west coast, but everything was a tiny bit different.
Wendy, Yes! But once I'm recovered I like to get back on a plan or I end up running 10 miles a day and then burn out before I know it! haha
Molly, Thanks! I'm not sure I'd call what I did at that 5K "racing" though. It was definitely slower than I would have otherwise gone. :)
Post a Comment