![]() |
| We got some sunny days! |
Since the first week of March was included in my last recap, I'll dive right into the first full week instead.
March 5-11: 41 miles
Long Run:
- 14 miles, 1:56:02, 8:17/mi. This week was a bit of a juggling act. We didn't want to run a long run too close to an upcoming race, but we didn't want to be soaking wet either. We found one afternoon midweek that was sunny and picked up Rachel for some miles in the middle. Fourteen felt so short and quick!
- 8 miles, 4@7:02/mi. It's not often I run tempo runs with a group, but Matt and Jorge provided the perfect windproof shield for me to get this done without a raging headwind the whole way.
- Bike 7 miles, 46:11. Another ride alongside Matt. I spent most of the ride trying to block the wind for him. It's not quite as easy to tuck behind a cyclist though so I was mostly the sail on his flailing ship.
- Trail Run, 8 miles, 1:30, 1,201 ft. gain. I know, I know. Trail running is still running, but a lot of this run felt like I was climbing a muddy staircase. I've been hailed on a lot in the past, but a solid ten minute shower this day is probably a new record for me. Brr.
March 12-18: 71.25 miles
Long Run:
- 21 miles, 2:57:01, 8:26/mi. We didn't do as good a job avoiding the rain on this run because we met up with the rest of the Boston-bound runners. Apparently people who have normal Monday-Friday schedules aren't available on random Wednesday afternoons for long runs. Anyways, I was surprised we could find nine people who wanted to run in the rain. The run went wonderfully and I turned it into a fast-finish run. Last five miles: 8:01, 7:48, 7:32, 7:44, 7:36. The chafing from three hours in soaking wet clothes was pretty horrendous. I put off my post-run shower for three hours because I was afraid of the pain.
- 14 miles, including 10@7:43/mi. Foggy Bottom 10 Miler. It was beautiful sunny day where all of us poor coastal fog runners were reminded about the importance of sunscreen. Ouch.
- 8 miles, 4@7:01/mi. Another tempo run, this time in the sideways rain. Somehow I wasn't totally gassed at the end of this one. Is a seven minute pace finally getting easier?!
- 10 miles, 7:53/mi. Progression run from 8:37 to 7:05. I let Matt set the pace and he did a great job: 8:37, 8:18, 8:08, 7:55, 7:45, 7:36, 7:31, 7:24, 7:05, and cooldown 8:35.
- Bike 6 miles, 39:39. Went on Matt's run with him. I froze. I got wet. The end.
![]() |
| Avenue Marathon course, first half. This is my backup if Boston's weather is horrendous. |
March 19-25: 50.25 miles
Long Run:
- I moved the long run to accommodate an upcoming race. I did get 10 miles in the mud on Sunday, so maybe that counts?
- 8 miles, 5@7:05/mi. This tempo. Wow. I didn't know I had it in me. By comparison, my current 5 mile race PR is 7:25/mi. and my 5K pace is about 7:00/mi. It was hard, but I'm still seriously impressed I pulled it off. It was sunny and beautiful and I rewarded myself with a huge iced coffee.
- 11.5 miles, 9.3 miles @ 7:26/mi. Redwood Wild River Run 15K. It was a hilly race on a muddy gravel road, but I loved how strong I felt the whole way.
- Bike 8 miles, 53:40. Another spin at Matt's tempo pace. There's nothing I love more than riding along at his pace and complaining about how tired my legs are. Really though, we make a great team. I love that this is one interest we're equally passionate about.
March 26-April 1: 61.25 miles
Long Run:
- 22 miles, 3:03:03, 8:19/mi. Without really trying, my long runs this cycle have improved by 10-20 seconds per mile. Most of it was due to the fast finish, but even the early miles averaged ten seconds faster. This was the final long run with a fast finish. Drake was there to help push me a little bit the final miles: 8:03, 7:41, 7:20, 7:13.
- 4 miles, 3@7:02. Wow, the first two miles of this were ridiculous. Easily a 25 mph headwind. There were white caps on the RIVER. What the heck. Despite me tucking it in, my shirt kept blowing up off my stomach and I had to pull my hat down so far on my head to keep it from blowing off that it left a mark across my forehead that lasted a good hour after the run. I felt like a superhero once I turned around and ran the third mile though. Zoom! Officially my fastest mile off the track and just five seconds slower than my mile PR on the oval.
- 13 miles, 2:45, 3,323 ft. gain. It was a gorgeous day inland so I decided to skip my marathon pace run on the coast and tackle Grasshopper Peak instead. The trail gains over 3,000 ft in just 6.5 miles, I worked hard to get there as fast as I could. Almost twenty minutes faster than my previous best, I made it to the lookout tower in 1:34.
XT:
- Bike 5 miles, 32:51. One last bike cruise with Matt on his tempo run. After Boston, I guess I'll have to start taking real bike rides. I'm still not sure I enjoy it though.....
----
Contrary to last month's total, which was quite a bit below average, I completed March with a new all-time monthly mileage PR of 246.75. I was really happy to see that!
Now that the training part is done, I catching up on my housework, reading more, and snuggling the kitty. From here on out, I'm resting, trying to stay healthy, and planning out race details.









2 comments:
My mouth just dropped when I read your monthly mileage. I've really enjoyed following you and I think you are going to crush Boston.
I'd love to run where you live. Looks gorgeous!
Thanks Wendy! I certainly hope so! You should make your next destination race in the redwoods. We've got two marathons each year: Avenue of the Giants and Humboldt Redwoods. Both are amazing!
Post a Comment