That's the only word I could find in my groggy state. Matt pulled back the curtains revealing not only daylight, but a sky that had obviously been that way for several hours. Once upon a time, when I was on a typical Monday thru Friday person, I was a morning person. I relished in the stillness of the morning, watching the world go from dark and peaceful to a rush of excitement. These days? Forget about it.
![]() |
| Mt. McLoughlin didn't want to leave her (cloud) blanket behind this morning either. |
Once I was fully caffeinated, an americano in one hand and a snickerdoodle the size of my face in the other, I was much more of a joy to be around. It just so happened to be the part of our drive where the mountains turned white and snow clung to every surface, so I can't be sure which improved my mood.
Compared to our previous snowshoe day, this one was easy. Following a single set of fluffy snowmobile tracks, each footstep held firm and we leisurely walked up the mountainside with ease. We always find something to talk about, but when I come to write about it later, I've completely forgotten. I'm sure the coffee made me extra chatty, too.
Our destination for the day is the Table Mountain Lookout. As we climbed higher, the wind picked up. Clouds moved in while a biting icy cold nipped our cheeks. We picked up the pace hoping that we wouldn't miss the views for the day.
Moments later, we arrived at a snowy gate. Above the gate was a collection of towers. Did we have the wrong mountaintop? We weren't sure, but continued up anyway knowing the view from here would be great, lookout or no lookout.
We ended up being right on both accounts. The lookout tower was where one would expect and the views were appropriately stunning. A partly cloudy day added to the beauty, casting varying shades of blue light on every rise and fall in the landscape down below.
We tried to linger on the top as we snacked and took photos, but the wind was quick to drive us away. If there's one element of the weather I truly despise, it's the wind. One can never wear enough layers to hide from the wind.
With snacks in hand, we decided it was time to retreat. I made my way back to the forest first, while Matt lagged behind, paying more attention to his snacks than keeping up.
![]() |
| He also took this photo of me, I guess. ;) |
In the flat light and distracted by his almonds, he miscalculated one of the snow drifts and toppled over. When asked if he needed a hand, he told me, "Nah, I've got my snacks, I'm good."
The return trip was quick and uneventful. Hungry for more adventure, we decided to return back to town by a different route. What we found were not only plowed roads, but a winter cabin resort and two other Oregon snow parks. It appears we will need to explore the area more, doesn't it?
5.5 miles, 2:25, 995 ft gain.
Don't worry Southern Oregon, we'll be back!









4 comments:
I am the same way about wind. I'll take almost any other unpleasant element, even mosquitoes, over wind.
Another lovely winter hike! I can't get over how much snow the Cascade have received this year. And although I'm a tea drinker once and awhile I too break down and have a cup of coffee. But - I'm with you - it's gotta be good coffee with lots of milk and flavoring. :)
How beautiful! I'd deal with the elements, just to experience that beauty!
Mary, Okay, so mosquitoes definitely top my list of most unpleasant elements. I had one particular backpacking trip where my head net didn't come off once because they were so bad. I ate granola bars underneath it. They even followed us into the tent at night. It was so frustrating! Wind > mosquitoes.
Linda, I don't need flavoring, but I definitely can't do Folgers anymore. :)
Wendy, Agreed! I've definitely endured a lot worse for less of a view.
Post a Comment