Frost is beginning to melt off the grass when I arrive at the park. Apart for a few characters who probably spent the night there, I'm alone. Usually a Saturday morning is full of families playing, people walking their dogs, but today? Nobody. Apparently we're all wimps and when it's still frosty at ten o'clock, we stay inside with the coffee, I know I would have. But I have a date with the physical therapy man so I'm all bundled up and waiting.
Part physical therapist, part running coach, almost all of the local runners have to visit with Trevor at some point. Our community lacks medical services and when it comes to sports injuries, most of us have to go through a series of doctors whose only advice is "don't run if it hurts" before we end up with Trevor, who sees all of us broken runners as a side job.
When he finally arrives, I realize we're wearing the same neon green Nike quarter-zip top. I take this as a sign we're on the same wavelength. Let's get down to business.
Parked on a picnic table in the sunshine, we discuss my training history, the types of workouts I do and their frequency, and my typical mileage. No red flags there. Then we move on to my injury. Covering all the aches and pains in sports history, nothing major stands out. I've had small issues with my back and IT band in the past, but I've figured out some stretches for them on my own and they stay away as long as I keep doing them.
Then I run. If you've ever had someone analyze your running form and stride, you know it's a little unnerving. I tell myself that to ignore his presence, but it's hard. Nothing feels natural as I run back and forth like a goofball. He notes that there's nothing unusual about my form or cadence adding that this is probably why it has been almost ten years since my last injury.
We return to the picnic table where we had our chat. Analyzing the tight muscles on my back, he's able to get a clearer idea of what's wrong. Although I already assumed as much, he points out that my left side looks completely different from my right. My muscles are stronger and tighter on the right, that is, except for my right hip and piriformis muscle. He explains that my quads, glutes, and lower back have been doing all the work when I run.
I do a few basic moves, such as standing on one foot with my eyes closed, and it's almost impossible. After a few more tests, he tells me that the front muscles of my hips are too flexible and as a result aren't providing a good support for my upper body while I'm running or standing.
Before we part ways, I'm given a list of exercises to do. The key for me, I learn, isn't loosening up my muscles and becoming more flexible, but balancing out that inequality between the left and right side. I knew that this would become an issue at some point in my life, but I figured it would have more to do with my shoulders and everyday activities than something in my running. The exercises are simple and I'm told we'll build upon them next month. I'll be spending a lot of time with yoga mat and balancing on one leg with my eyes closed. I should notice a difference within a week.
Since we met before my issue became a full-blown injury that prevents me from walking without pain, I'm cleared to continue my normal activity level. It sounds like an easy fix, so I'm optimistic.


2 comments:
I have a good PT too. My issue is somewhat similar to yours, as I have one side that is really different as well. The good news is that my exercises have really helped. It is amazing what the body can compensate for, for years, and you have no idea.
Where did your pain pop up? I'm still surprised that mine is in my hip. Glad to hear your exercises help!
Post a Comment