Sunday, September 04, 2016

Denali Park: A Comedy of Errors

Sunday was the day the spontaneous nature of our trip finally backfired on us. We got a lazy start to our day, which both Rachel and I appreciated. We couldn't tell if the dry (drier than being next to the ocean) air was causing our sore throats or if we were getting sick. After stocking up on food and cold meds, we hit the road about midday.
Such enthusiasm.
By the time we arrived at Denali Park, we were greeted by a sign in the camper store announcing that the campground was full. Since I'm not one to pay for things I can get for free and didn't know of any other nearby camping options, we headed for the ranger station to see if we could get a backcountry permit instead. The last bus departing into the park left thirty minutes prior, so we opted for a permit in Unit #1, a slice of pretty developed park land between the campground and the Parks Highway. It wasn't exactly wilderness because it actually had a trail, but it would provide us an easy place to camp almost as convenient as the campground. Or so we thought.
In the rain that alternated between drizzle and downpour, we rearranged our gear and packed up our packs. We weren't out more than five minutes and I was already soaked. And my throat hurt. And my legs hurt.
Brenna accurately captured my enthusiasm here.
But I was in Alaska surrounded by people who take their Trip of a Lifetime here so I tried to put on my happy face and remember how lucky I am that I've played in this park over a dozen times before as we trudged along through the mud.
Okay, fine. I guess that's pretty.

Okay, more than pretty. Sorta gorgeous.
The rain finally stopped by the time we gained a good vantage point on the ridge. None of us were in a good mood. Rachel had a huge trigger point in her shoulder that was aggravated by her pack strap; I was hangry; and I accidentally tried to kill Brenna, who has a nut allergy. When she asked to try a bit of my Epic bar, which I thought contained only meat and cranberry, I handed her some as I read the wrapper. It also contained almonds. Oops. This was the most difficult day for all three of us and I'm honestly surprised nobody had a complete meltdown.
Yay?
We pulled up to the first lake, hoping for a camping spot. Since this year has been especially rainy, the lake shore was more muskeg than firm soil so we carried on. The second lake had sites but were taken by other campers. Meanwhile it was getting dark and almost midnight. In our rush to pack our bags in the rain, I had forgotten my headlamp, so there was that added fun challenge, too.

When we reached a boardwalk over a muskeg, we decided to retrace our steps and look for a flat spot on the hillside. After way too much time being princesses about a flat spot large enough for all three of us, we settled on one that was good enough. It would result in me sleeping at a 45 degree angle, but at that point, I wasn't in a position to be picky.
The tent the next morning. It looks flatter than it was.
We had a quick snack, stashed the bear can, and headed for bed. Convinced I was coming down with a cold, I took Nyquil for good measure. I dozed off quickly. The other girls did not.

Accurate photo of how our night went. Rachel's photo.
Oh well. New day, new opportunities. Most important and sure to bring a smile to our faces: coffee!!
Okay, maybe not.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Haha! I guess they can't all be great. However, this trip is one you will remember and laugh about later.

Molly said...

You are just building up good trip karma! Every time you hike in the rain you have a beautiful perfect day in the future to balance it out.

Linda W. said...

Your camping adventure made me smile. It also reminded me of the time I camped in Denali with my family, over 14 years ago. Let's just say the mosquitoes won!

Karen said...

I'm sure we will, Mary. We had a lot of moments like that on this trip.

Molly, Yes! My next post includes a beautiful day. :)

Linda, August isn't so bad for mosquitoes, but I have taken a few trips in July where the mosquito net didn't come off once!