The first few months of summer are about building endurance and strength, dusting off my climbing legs. June and July feel a bit rusty and forced. Just as I hit a summertime groove where my endurance can keep up with my dreams, mountain season begins to close. August and September are met with a rush of adventures as I ride what might be the final wave of mountain time before the snow begins to fall.
 |
| Atop 8,091 foot tall Granite Peak. You didn't think I'd go all of 2016 without at least one trip to the summit, did you? |
For this reason, my blog often falls dormant. While blog silence often means a fall off the exercise wagon, over here it usually means I'm too busy loading, unloading, and navigating my wagon to keep up with sifting through photographs and writing about them. I hope to soon recap each of the mountain hikes/runs I did during this time, but first let's catch up.
 |
| Atop southern Oregon's 9,494 ft. Mt. McLoughlin. |
 |
| If you've ever driven south in Interstate-5 between Grants Pass and Medford, I'm sure you've seen it. |
My fall running season officially begins with the running of the Humboldt Bay Half Marathon. Like I did last year, I ran as part of the pace team, cruising to a comfortable finish just twenty-two seconds below 1:50. This year, I ended up helping two runners pull off strong races. Chris, a local guy who describes himself as a cyclist and not a runner, ran with me through eleven miles and then took off up ahead and finishing his first half marathon a few minutes ahead of me. Mark struggled more, but he kept me in sight and finished just a handful of seconds over 1:50 in what was also his first half marathon. This race is struggling financially, but I really hope it can find a way to stick around. Running across the three bridges without highway speed traffic whizzing by is one of the highlights of my year!
 |
| Friend Dave in the corner of the shot asked where my pace team was. They're gone! Y. Kim photo. |
After that, it was back to speed workouts. I began with a 5K race the day after Granite Peak. I went out at my half marathon pace and then picked it up. It hurt far more than I wanted, but I attributed it to the fact that I was still walking funny from yesterday's climb. I ran each mile faster than the previous one, finishing in 22:53. As it turns out, 5Ks hurt a lot less that way. Who knew?
 |
| First genuine smile at the end of a 5K. Thanks Yoon. |
I struck a comfortable balance between structured road training and mountain summits which kept my mind occupied and my body from feeling too taxed.
 |
| I think this is now my all-time favorite running shot. |
Even the nineteen mile trail run/hike in the Trinity Alps didn't break me. I know, I'm surprised too.
 |
| Atop 8,162 ft. Siligo Peak, Trinity Alps, with Lanore. |
While keeping my total mileage around fifty-five each week (hiking miles included, miles on my feet are miles on my feet), I did some 880 yard repeat workouts and fartleks accompanied by weekly runs at my goal half marathon pace. I remember training at these paces for the Rogue River Half I ran in February. These don't feel like the same paces at all! They're almost comfortable. I'd like to think I'm still getting faster and stronger and climbing the fitness arc. We will soon find out because my first race of the fall, my goal half marathon, is on Sunday.
As has become tradition before any important race, I spend some time talking it out. I'm honest about how I'll handle a bad day and how I'll handle a good one as it unfolds on the course. Since I pretty much coach myself, I talk about my training. I know how it has gone, where I could have done better, and where I truly excelled. Then it's time for the pep talk and goals.
"Two years ago, I set my PR on this course. Three of my five fastest times were at The Rogue Run. My five fastest half marathons have been in this corner of Oregon. For some reason, I seem to race well here consistently. I'm fitter than I was two years ago and much faster." These are some of the things I tell myself and keep talking about them until I believe what I'm saying.
My ears and brain find the sound of my voice soothing and my fears melt away. My goal is set: I want to break 1:39, possibly 1:38. That puts me right at a 7:30/mi. pace, which has felt reasonably comfortable on my training runs so I'm cautiously optimistic. Wish me luck!
4 comments:
Good luck, Karen! You can do it. P.S. Love your running shot. That's amazing. Makes me want to move down to southern Oregon right. this. minute. (I think most of these pics are from southern OR, right?) Cheers.
Beautiful pics, and good luck!
Great photos. Good luck for the half!
Thanks! The race was great!
Post a Comment