![]() |
| Davis, California. |
![]() |
| I'm all packed, Karen! Let's go! |
![]() |
| Day 5 of Zoey's first move, somewhere outside of Sacramento. |
![]() |
| It looks a little like this. |
Start small.
When we first learned that we were moving, I took Zoey on a lot of local trips with me. She ran errands once a week for a month, then Matt and I took her on an hour drive into the city with us. This is how you learn your individual travel styles. She peed once and puked another. Some cats meow the whole time (not Zoey, thank God!) and it's better to learn this in a short trip across town than on a summertime tour of your favorite national parks.
![]() |
| Sometimes she likes to snuggle, but mostly she stays in the carrier. |
Pack things that smell like home.
This includes a favorite blanket or bed, some toys, and the scratching post. I've often wondered whether bringing the bulky post is necessary, but then I find she uses it each time so it's worth it. It's better than her using the couch in our hotel room for her daily manicure.
Withhold food the morning we're going somewhere.
It's not punishment, it's so my sweet kitty doesn't toss her cookies all over the place or have to bathe in excrement until I reach the destination. But it's always good to be prepared for this type of accident so I bring some towels and wipes and hope I don't need them.
Limit travel time.
Meaning: get there as soon as possible. I think of the ticking clock on my kitty's bladder. If I do end up having to be on the road more than four or five hours at once, I offer up the litter box. When we moved, we did this when we stopped for lunch in the afternoon.
![]() |
| Camouflage kitty. Whitehorse, Yukon. |
When we arrive, we set up her things and leave her to explore. After I learn how she reacts the first day, I try to establish a routine based off of that.
Zoey spends about an hour sniffing the room before settling down. She hits the litter box, grabs a nibble or two, and then tries to make up the snooze time she missed while being thrown around inside the carrier all day. Since she's not the type to get scared and meow a lot, it's okay leaving her in the room to unwind and nap. Some hotels insist we keep her in the carrier the whole time, but since she doesn't shed excessively or climb draperies, we tend to smile and nod our way through that part of check-in.
Give kitty extra love.
I take advantage of the close quarters and give Zoey a little extra attention. Besides, she's in a new place and it's scary. She's allowed in the bed with me (we keep the door closed at night at home), she gets brushed more frequently, and we spend a lot of our evenings snuggled up together. If Zoey is really lucky, our room has two beds. She really, really loves having her own queen size bed.
![]() |
| Queen Zoey |
Right now, Zoey is at the point where we could leave her alone at home again. Her eating and weight have stabilized, but since she's so easygoing, I don't mind bringing her along. I don't have to worry about her while I'm away. Honestly, the biggest hassle I've encountered is finding a place that accepts pets. Zoey's next trip will be a few days at a state park yurt in southern Oregon, I'm excited to see how she reacts to it.
Have you traveled with your cat? Care to share a success or horror story?










5 comments:
I've only traveled with mine while moving. They have not been fans. Especially the three day Alaska State Ferry trip where they have to stay in the car without you. I wouldn't inflict that on a cat again. It's nice that she is so calm. Puffin meows all the way to the vet, so I wouldn't even try it. Pumpkin pulled fur out his tail (I'm assuming) on the last vet trip and only now is he getting his fluffy tail back. Callie was a terror to corral. So, no.
Hmmm, I wonder if these same methods would work for traveling with a bunny?? :) Zoey is so cute. I love her bright and curious eyes!
This is such a great post! My guy has moved across the country and back again, and both trips were probably way more stressful for me because he has the tendency to bolt when scared or nervous. Luckily, everything worked out ok. I love that your cat is a traveller and gets to go on adventures with you...glad to hear she is feeling better :)
I thought I commented here! (obv, my brain is not working)...
I adore this post. I've often wondered what it's like for you to travel so mych with Zoey. I love that she handles it all so well! When we took our Arizona trip over Christmas, it was so much fun to see how many people traveled with their pets - the kids really got a kick out of oooing and aaaing over PUPPIES! but we saw very few (if any? I can't remember) kitties....
Mary, I don't blame you for keeping your kitties home. Some people have to medicate their kitties when they move, I definitely have it easy with Zoey.
Chelsea, It's worth a try. Your bunny might even be a better traveler than my cat.
Lia, I agree. It can be stressful. None of us want to see our kitties distressed. I'm glad yours is cooperates when you move. It's great to hear that he moves with you, so many people abandon their pets when they move to a new place, it's sad.
Bobbi, I've only seen a cat once. I don't blame people, it's much easier to leave the cat home with someone to check in rather than try and travel. I'm debating taking Zoey with me back to the UP this summer, but I'm not sure how to handle the litter box situation. With layovers, it could be 16 hours of travel. Do I carry a portable litter box and hole up somewhere quiet so she can relax and use it?
Post a Comment