Thursday, December 17, 2015

A Run with Karen: Holiday Edition

I peer out the window to see dark clouds hanging overhead. The weather has been the same since I turned my calendar to December and shows no sign of changing anytime soon. At least it has warmed up a little bit. The 40F and rainy we had last week was no fun at all.

Even though winter here isn't cold and snowy, it's still a bit gloomy. The amount of light pouring from the sky is so minimal with the dense clouds that it feels like dusk all day long. If I'm not able to have a full, snowy winter, this is preferable. Against that gray backdrop, all the colors of the world are more vibrant and punch through the drab.

Once I've got my therapy light set up, I almost enjoy this quiet time each year. As I overdress for the umpteenth day in a row, I notice that I've been drawn to cozy, comforting fabrics a lot lately. For the months of December and January, I always find myself reaching for things that delight my sense of touch and it's unlikely you'll find me without a thick pair of wool socks on my feet.

Pulling on my festive snowflake tights and rain hat, I head for the door. This is my first solo run since CIM and I decided it would be fun to share it with you.  For an additional change of pace, I grab my camera, turn on some music and head out the door.

Tree branches and leaves litter the sidewalk as I make my way down the road. I dodge small puddles here and there and note an especially large downed tree. A neighbor's tree fell into our yard on Saturday and I'm not surprised there are many more. I snap a photo of it for Matt, thinking maybe he can use it at the office.
 Holiday decorations have been different everywhere I've lived. Here, it seems, everyone loves their inflatables. I'm sure these outdoor decor decisions are based off of the weather, so only the most water-resistant options are put outside. Since they require a fair amount of electricity, most people only inflate theirs at night when they're at home. They glow brightly in the rain, adding cheer to an otherwise dark and rainy night. During the day, it looks like someone murdered Santa and his snowman.
Poor Frosty!
I'm still not used to seeing these holiday displays against a backdrop of green grass and fall colors, but without such displays, I might otherwise forget that Christmas is just one week away.
Since I'm out for an easy run, I take some time to stop and pet the horses. I feed each horse a handful of grass as we bond over the shared desire for just one more sunny day before Christmas.
PS- Those gloves. They're made of raincoat material and the only thing that keeps my hands warm in the rain.
Now almost done with my run, I have yet to see a single kitty. Sightings have been sporadic lately and I never know which rainy day will have kitties on every porch and which ones will have none at all.
Arriving back home after my five mile jaunt in the rain, I waste no time firing up the kettle and make some tea.

Thanks for coming along on my run today!

What do outdoor holiday displays look like in your area? Are your neighbors as obsessed with inflatable Snoopy and igloos as mine are? 

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, those snowflake tights are so cute! Where did you get them?

Mallory S. said...

I noticed that my neighborhood is VERY into inflatables as well. And not just for Christmas! They were everywhere for Halloween too. I don't even have an outdoor outlet so we don't have lights up or anything. The only nod to the holiday we have outside is a wreath.

Linda W. said...

I'm with you - having grown up in a cold, snowy place, and now living where it's mainly wet in winter, it still seems weird not to have snow for Christmas. And yes, my neighbors also sport lots of water-resistant Christmas decor.

Karen said...

Mary, I got them last winter at TJ Maxx. The brand is called Balance Collection.

Mallory, I have one neighbor that adds a new inflatable each year...for all the holidays. I don't know where they store them all. Their yard looks like a circus for Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas.

Linda, That's just the way of the PNW, I guess. :) Do you have any lights up? I've got some in my windows, but nothing outside.