The trip to Santa Fe was made on the sly. In March, my mom, grandma, and sister booked plane tickets to visit my brother. They tried to convince me to go, but Matt didn't have enough vacation time. A few weeks later, I decided to go solo....without telling them.
The evening of their arrival, my brother Chris left them home alone. He said since the visit was a special occasion, he had to go pick up a surprise. Of course, they insisted no special fuss be made. He said everything was already paid for so he went out to get it.
The skies opened up and a heavy rain fell as I waited for Chris at the airport. We drove back to his house and he sent me in the door first, my jacket thrown over my head to keep me dry. Nobody noticed it was me. "Hey guys", I said, while removing my coat. My mom did a double-take and called out, "Karen?" My sister ran up for a hug. Nobody had suspected a thing. For the first time in several years, I was together with my brother and sister at the same time.
We spent the week touring the Santa Fe area. Chris took us out to his work, Bandelier for a hike, and to the July 4th celebration on the Plaza. My favorite memories from the week were simple meals we prepared together. We all learned where that biting sarcasm comes from (Thanks Grandma!). She's the perfect mix of sweet and sass. Uninterrupted visits with her are rare, so it was nice we could hog her all to ourselves for the week.
As the week wore on, we took separate adventures in pairs or small groups as one or two of us sat behind, the introvert need for alone time deeply imbedded in each of us. I spent my recharge day running and eating Dairy Queen while they went to the casino.
![]() |
| Now you see where I get it from! |



4 comments:
So wonderful that you got a trip in. Family time is the best.
Glad you were able to get together with your family!
What an awesome surprise! I can only imagine their shock! So glad you had a wonderful time.
Abby, Linda, and Meghan: It was so hard to keep this a secret. I talked to my mom and sister every few days before their trip and had trouble keeping it a secret. Matt and I even posted a decoy picture of my kitty to Facebook in case they were suspicious. :)
Post a Comment