| Matt said I looked like a ninja. |
Tucked away in a valley along Interstate 5 hides the Valley of the Rogue State Park. There are plans for a 30 mile paved bike path through this beautiful place. Our run included a few portions of this unfinished trail. While Matt and I ran along, praying the overcast skies wouldn't rain on us until we finished (they didn't, but it poured later in the day), we talked about our training strategies.
| Greenway trail outside of Rogue River. |
When I was first diagnosed with asthma, I did a lot of researching online. It appeared that the best solution for those with EIA is to stick with short distances. I've been wondering why I fight my body to run long when it doesn't seem to want to. Maybe the solution wasn't to take time off but to switch to shorter distances? Since I've never really trained for a 5K or 10K, I could probably see significant gains if I applied myself there. I'm already planning to do that this summer and maybe continue on in the fall, I could do that now and just forget about the marathon. If I hadn't already made the travel arrangements, I might consider it.
| Mile markers on part of the trail. |
We ran along a large mountainside vineyard on picturesque country roads. We stopped a few moments to root around in a box in someone's driveway marked "Free!!" The reason I stick with long distance is because I love the adventure of it. As a young girl, I spent nearly the entire summer outside exploring, climbing trees, and building forts. To me, long runs hold that same childish joy. You never know what's hiding around the next corner or what treasures lie in the next roadside free box.
| Free box jacket. There were also a dozen Cliff's Notes books too. |
Those sixteen miles passed quickly without stress or issue from my body. A change of scenery is exactly the recharge I needed. We'll see if this momentum will carry me through the rest of my revised week.

8 comments:
I totally agree, long distance is about what you see and experience along the way. And also kind of what you go through emotionally. It looks like you're still cranking out the miles even though you don't feel well :)
I've camped at the Valley of the Rogue state park and it is indeed lovely. Looks like you had a great run. Hope your allergies calm down for you.
You definitely inspire me to be more adventurous with my runs! Your runs always look so beautiful! Keep it up, despite the EIA, I was diagnosed with it as a kid. You are still rocking it, despite your set back! Your posts keep me motivated!
Molly, Exactly. There's no time to look around and check things out on a 5K or 10K race. Too short and too much mental power goes into maintaining a fast pace. Yes, still running some miles, but that was supposed to be 21, so it's definitely a reduction.
Linda, Thanks! I love it, my only complaint is that the noise from the freeway eliminates the otherwise peaceful nature the photos suggest. We stayed there once last Sept, so we knew about the noise and brought a radio this time to distract us from the highway at night. Worked nicely.
S, Thank you for your support! I don't know what I'd do without my silly adventurous runs, glad they're inspiring you to have some more of your own. :)
I agree about the distance running! There's too much to see out in the world and if you're always trying to run fast you'll miss it.
That looks like a beautiful place to run! I miss seeing anything green - everything is brown right now.
I may have missed it in an earlier post, but which marathon are you running? Green Bay, by chance?
I see no snow! You are so lucky!!!
I too have never really trained for a 5K or 10K it'll be fun to see how you do.
Rachel, No Green Bay this year. I'm running Mountains 2 Beach in southern California instead. I figured I should give old Sean Ryan a break from my marathon weather curse. If the weather is perfect this year, I'll know it WAS me.
Happiness, I would love some snow. Green year round isn't lucky. For me, it's all allergies. :( We need a dozen hard frosts at least to kill all the plants. I'm such a Grinch, hey?
Abby, I'm excited to see what your coach can help you achieve in shorter distances as well. :)
Post a Comment