Even though the temperature doesn't change here on a seasonal basis, I often celebrate this day because it is halfway to my next birthday. Living here in California, it also signals the midway point of my peak spring allergy season, I should be feeling better soon.
| The spring equinox is also my half birthday, so that means cupcake. |
Matt is one of those lucky ones that only has symptoms on very rare occasions. This morning, we took to some secluded logging roads for a sunny and relaxing run. Matt has been dealing with calf issues and looked forward to the soft dirt surface. My allergies don't like sunny and windy days, so somewhere with tree cover was calling to me as well.
The first three miles felt comfortable and light. After that, the pressure began to build within my head. First in my ears, it caused pain and dizziness. Then it spread to my sinuses. Matt and I must have been quite the sight, running side by side spraying gunk from our noses that sparkled when the light caught it just right.
Tomorrow I meet with my allergist to let her see what my symptoms look like at their worst and see if she thinks I might have VCD instead/in addition to allergy-induced EIA. Hopefully there's a solution coming soon, because I'm barely functioning in this state right now.
The remainder of the run wasn't much fun. Even at an easy pace, it felt like my legs were drained of strength and my head pounded an echo of my heartbeat. I'm still planning on running Saturday's 15K race but hold little hope the PR I'd originally expected.
For now, I just keep pushing on at whatever pace my body will allow, taking comfort in the knowledge that this season will too pass. Usually May is a good month for me so I'm still holding onto the hope that the marathon on Memorial Day weekend goes to plan even if things look a little bleak right now.




8 comments:
Ugh! Allergies are the worst. It's high pollen season up here in Oregon too, and I've been spraying the Flonase every morning. Hang in there.
I hope you get some answers and a plan from your allergist. And I hope this year's allergy season is SHORT!
Yum, cupcakes!!
Hopefully the allergist is able to help out!
That cupcake looks DREAMY! I hope the allergist is helpful, I imagine it is frustrating to go through this!
I LOVE the half birthday cupcake idea. I may have to steal that.
I just developed allergies over the past few years, and you're right - they're awful. I hope you find some answers soon!
And that cupcake. YUM.
Another vote for the half birthday cupcake thing being a great idea. I hope you get some useful info from the allergist.
Alicia
Linda, It seems everyone on the West Coast has had it bad this year with the dry winter. I'm on five different medications right now, most of the year it's just two. I'm glad Flonase works for you!
Bobbi, Unfortunately, my allergies are 12 months a year, and really unbearable for 2 of those months.
Heather, Kristin, Abby, and Alicia, Yes. Cupcakes make everything better.
Meghan, It's weird how allergies can develop over time. I want to know how to stop them from getting worse.
Post a Comment