Sunday: Run 6 mi. not timed. Strength: Core, legs.
Easy recovery run after the Trinidad to Clam Beach race. A beautiful sunny day that I couldn't waste by taking a rest day. You know how it is, right?
Monday: Run 10 mi. 1:41:55, 10:11/mi.
Ran 6.25 miles at the marsh
and then the remaining 3.75 mi on soft sand dunes. It was a tough but fun run.
![]() |
| Dumped about the same amount from my socks too. |
Tuesday: Run 5 mi. 47:48, 9:36/mi.
Easy run with Paul. He's recovering from an injury so we took it slow and enjoyed our social time.
Wednesday: Run 27.75 mi. 5:45:06, 12:26/mi. 5,431 ft. gain.
Two Climb Long Run
Recovery run felt a little stiff, but we went slow and enjoyed the day.
Friday: Run 11 mi. 1:52:17, 10:16/mi., 2,623 ft. gain.
Started out sluggish but I kept getting stronger and ended in a new route PR (previous 1:56:54). I'm sure it helped that Matt ran with the camera this time instead of me. I stop far too often when I'm the one taking pictures.
Saturday: Run 5.25 mi. Not Timed.
Just your average day. Saw about six kitties and kept an unremarkable pace.
TOTAL: 70 MILES
Notes: My legs and mind really enjoyed this week. I know that 70 miles hardly seems like an off-season, but the break from more regimented training is what I need. Slowing the pace down and doing a lot of hills and soft trails doubles as a really solid base for spring marathon training too. Win-win.
Also, despite a slow start to January because of my allergies, I ran a new all-time monthly high mileage this month: 211.75 (previous PR: 208.5 in March 2013).
I know it's all relative and your high mileage may be 100 or it may be 30, but on your high mileage/activity weeks, do you find yourself feeling worn down or invigorated?
I feel like I'm the latter. Aside from the feeling that all I do is run, eat, and sleep during these periods, I think if I ever were to quit racing, I'd probably just build up and run lots and lots of slow miles just like this week.







7 comments:
That sounds like a great week! I know what you mean--I always feel best on my high mileage weeks. I love that feeling:)
Alicia
I have complete runner's envy when I read our posts. The various terrain's you run look challenging and fun! Congrats on the peak mileage!
Great runs with lost of pretty views.
All of your trail running and hills is so impressive. I bet it's great training for races. The Midwest is so flat that I don't think I'd know what to do with all of the hills!
Congrats on an awesome mileage week!
Alicia, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
S, thanks! I definitely don't choose the easiest trails to run on. Sometimes the most beautiful places are hidden on top of the tallest hills.
Abby, Thanks!
Meghan, On my hilly trail runs, it is pretty much a hike on most of the steep hills. The Midwest is really flat, but the challenge there is the gnarly tree roots in the trails. Here the trails have little to no obstacles other than the climbing part.
I was just thinking about what I'd do when I quit racing and thought that definitely I'd just do a lot of long, slow, vertical miles - because they are just do so much more for the mind for me. Maybe it'll soon be time...I like the less stress paces and times on the trails. Hmmmm.
What a stellar week for you, wow. I was really impressed with her vertical distance more than your mileage, but both are fantastic. And the sand would be a real killer workout on those calves. Tons of fun adventures for you this week! :)
Jill, Once I get out of town, the area is really hilly. Trails are steep and fantastic cardio work even though my paces are barely above a hike most of the time.
Post a Comment