Monday, February 17, 2014

Alaska Dreamin'

Traveling always has a way of disorienting me, especially when I arrive at bedtime. The next morning, it takes a moment to figure out where I am. The rest of the day it feels like I'm dreaming.  Am I really in Alaska or is this a dream? I've had dreams like this, it could definitely be a dream. When will I wake up?
Mr. Moose says, "YAY! Karen's back!" Look at that smile!

Our first day in Alaska was filled with activity. We had a late breakfast with Mike and Erik at Middle Way Café, a place we would visit two more times in the next few days when asking different friends to pick a place for lunch. It was always their idea, so apparently it is THE place for the good food in town.
With my buddy Kluane

That afternoon, as the sun angles began to lower and spread a golden glow across the snowy landscape, we took to the multi-use trails of Hillside and Far North Bicentennial Parks for a run. Still jet lagged and dehydrated from the noticeably drier and colder air, my lungs fought with me the entire way. Most of my outfit was perfect for the temperatures, but that neoprene facemask was a bit too much for the temperature and the difficulty breathing through it. I'd have to find another option for the Little Su, given that it would be a balmy 15F and too warm for the heavy duty one I wore for this run.
Matt, Mike, and Mattie.

Just as I was test driving my gear, Matt conducted an experiment with his own.  He's been growing a beard since we returned from our Utah trip. Part of his motivation was to see what he looked like with a frosty Alaska beard.  This run did not disappoint.  Both Mike and I agreed that the frost aged his look just a little bit.
Let's just call him Old Man Winter.

If this is a dream, please don't wake me.
I don't want a dog, but having a canine running buddy is fun. Please loan me your husky please.

6.75 mi.
1:13:59
10:57/mi.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want that dog!!!

Pretty trails. What city are you near?

Alicia

Unknown said...

OMG that beard is hilarious! Have fun! My friends in Alaska have been posting that it's been warmer there than NYC!

Linda W. said...

Oh how fun! I visited Alaska once many years ago and I'd love to go back. Have a great time!

Jeano said...

Ahhhh, my trails! So jealous! Have fun, and I hope everything works out weather-wise for Little Su!

Karen said...

Alicia, This is the Anchorage area.

Kristin, isn't it awesome? His beard is the greatest.

Linda, I can just imagine the beautiful shots you'd get in Alaska with that lovely photographer eye you've got.

Jeano, The trails finally got some snow on them too, so I'm sure that makes you extra jealous. I hear the skiing today was fantastic! :)