Friday, October 04, 2013

Last Week: Sept 22-28

Sunday: Run 15 mi. including The Rogue Run Half Marathon.
This race was one of the days where everything came together perfectly.  I ran a new PR of 1:40:47 (previous 1:43:07).

Monday: Run 5 mi. easy in Medford before flying to Utah. 
Took it easy and it felt good to work out a little of the stiffness from the race.

Tuesday:   Hike 9 mi. on Angels Landing and West Rim trails. 
I had so much energy and really enjoyed the views.

Wednesday: Hike 7 mi. through the river at Zion Narrows. 
This was more like a mental exercise than a physical one.  Equally beautiful.

Thursday: Hike 3 mi. on Navajo Loop at Bryce Canyon park. 
As is typical for me after a few days above 6,000 ft. (that seems to be the magic height where I begin to feel it), I felt kinda trashed.  No matter how slow we went, it felt too hard.  All I wanted was to nap in the hoodoos.

Friday: Run 6 mi. on the Cassidy Trail in Red Canyon Park. 
Chilly 30F and a stiff wind, but it was gorgeous.  If you don't want to pay the entry fee into Bryce, I highly recommend this park as an alternative.  (I'll write about Thurs and Fri soon!)

Saturday: Rest!!! 
Had some Dairy Queen and hit the outlet malls in Salt Lake City with a couple of friends.  Pretty much the ideal rest day.

TOTAL: 45 mi.

Notes: With the exception of Sunday, all of these miles were at about 4,000-8,000 ft.  Since running specific paces at altitude without acclimation is like bashing your head against a stone wall, we decided to let the altitude part count as added difficulty.  Each mile was well earned this week, so I feel like we made the right choice and just enjoyed it.

No comments: