Friday, May 03, 2013

Giving Back Through Running

During my senior year of college, I was on my university's American Cancer Society team.  The first meeting, we introduced ourselves and why we were there.  Even though it was one year post treatment, I wasn’t at all ready to process my feelings, especially in public and I burst into tears.  Of course the other team members understood, some of whom were also survivors.  I attended meetings and helped plan our school's Relay for Life.  The days leading up to our relay, I was a mess.  I was anxious and jittery.  I didn't sleep well.  My college best friend, Amy, came to visit to support me.  At the last minute, I decided I wasn't ready.  I couldn't face such an emotionally charged event.
We made dirt cake people instead.

I still don't know if I'm ready, but this year, I decided to give it another shot.  Who knows, I may never be ready to deal with those feelings.  They fit nicely in a box in the back of my mind, it would be so easy to leave them there.  I'm joining my local running club's team for the Relay for Life.  I plan to run at least a marathon on the track that night and will probably still sob my way through the survivor lap.  It may not do more than reduce me to a blubbering mess, but it will help fund a cause that helped me through my treatment.

Through their Hope Lodge (think Ronald McDonald house for adult cancer patients) program, my family and I were able to save thousands of dollars in lodging and gain support from other guests.  They always had snacks available, a big kitchen stocked with food, and a weekly dinner prepared by local organizations.  At moments when I felt the most alone, I knew I could turn to the friends I had there for understanding.  This is why I've decided to try once again: to attempt to chip away at a debt I know I'll never repay.
(Source)

Earlier this week, a running buddy proposed in interesting idea for me to work for my donation.  Here's his deal:  For every minute I run the marathon under 4:00, he will donate a dollar.  If I qualify for Boston (3:35), he will add another $26.20 to the donation.

I agreed to his offer and will think of it as motivation when I'm running on Sunday.

If you would like to contribute to my Relay for Life page, you can visit it here.  If you'd like to make me work for my money in another way, leave it in the comments and I'll see what I can do. :)

8 comments:

giraffy said...

I love this.

I know, kind of, what you mean about not really processing everything - I kind of start to think about Gab, and immediately get teary, and force myself to stop. I don't know if that's good, or bad, but it is what it is.

Hope Lodge sounds like an amazing place. Excellent cause.

Teamarcia said...

This is excellent. Who cares if you're a blubbering mess?

bobbi said...

I am glad you are doing this...I am glad you finally feel like you can.

I'll be thinking of you Sunday :)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. you are amazing.. You can do it!!!! Cry if you want because you can't have a rainbow without the rain.

Anonymous said...

So, back to that Petol / 1600 / 5K deal. No petols change hands if you run 6x1600 @ <7:00 and run a <21:39 5K...hhmmmm...

If my prediction on the 5k finish comes true, then I'll give the equivalent of 1 petol for ever second under 21:39. So a finish time of 20:58 would be 23 seconds under, and 23 petols which would be [under the current exchange rate] about $69 or so, I think. I will use exact values if this comes to fruition.

Karen said...

We'll see what I can do, 22:17 is my current PR. I'd love to run anything under 21 min and I think that Fortuna Rodeo is where I'm going to try. I think it is after the Relay though.

Anonymous said...

Current exchange is actually $2.375 + $0.600 per 1 petol. And, it is not the number of seconds under your current pr (Good try!), but number of seconds under 21:39.

Lastly, I'm sure the ACS accepts donations year round! :)

Karen said...

I only mentioned my PR to show you how excited I'd be to even hit the 21:39, under 21 would be a HUUUGE deal. I'll see what I can do. :) I won't get back into speed work until later this month, then it will be 5K speed stuff with long trail runs. After you're done teaching for the year, we should meet for some long dirty trail stuff.