Sunday, April 28, 2013

Last Week: April 21-27

Sunday: Run 3 mi. Matt and I spent the day marking the Avenue courses.  Those three miles were official, but the real running mileage was probably 5-6.  It was great to get another course preview.

Monday:  Rest!  Didn't want to rest on this one at all, but I did because I know it will help me feel better on race day.

Tuesday:  Run 5 mi. fartlek.  Strength: Core, legs.  Warm sunshine day.  A trigger point in my back made this one less fun even though the weather was perfect. I wore a tank top for the first time this year.

Wednesday:  Run 6 MRP.  I seriously felt like I was melting for this run, as it was way too and dry hot for what I'm used to (foggy and 50 and air so thick I can drink it).  Our town set a new high temperature record for this day.  California seriously has wimped me out on the heat, because really, 75F isn't all that warm.  I can do bitter cold, but the heat kills me every time.  Gutted it out and still hit paces. (Goal: 7:49-8:00)

Thursday:  Run 5.5 mi, 5x800.  A family of deer enjoyed watching us from a grassy spot above the track.  They got up and left just seconds after I finished my last repeat.  After doing mile repeats most of the season at this same pace, these felt very easy.  It felt like I wasn't even trying.  When I doubt myself, I remind myself how over the moon I felt about this run. (Goal: 3:25-3:30)

Friday:  Run 4 mi. easy.  This one felt great, the sun was warm, but it was more than windy enough to make it nice.  It was unscheduled, but I needed to get out and play a little. :)  I also got a massage to get rid of that trigger point.  I almost jumped off the table several times, but I think she got it out.  No more pain. 

Saturday: Run 8 mi.  This was our last long run before Avenue.  The air was back to normal and drizzled a little.  It felt good.  Miles 3-4 were on the sidewalk along the Rhododendron Parade route and it was energizing to run with some background music and entertainment.  Asked Matt if we could join the parade, he said no.  Party pooper.
This is how I like my air: cool and saturated, like drinking a glass of water.

TOTAL MILES:  31.5

Notes:  The spot on my back bothered me a lot during the week.  I worry too much about little nagging spots when I taper.  Clearly training does more than keep just my legs busy.  After Saturday's run, I've felt a drastic increase in energy, especially in daily activities.  I've been a non-stop baking machine.  The house is pretty clean too.  One last week of resting and it's race day!


6 comments:

Mary said...

Don't do too much! That always used to be my downfall. what's the only thing you have not run a marathon through now...locusts? I know it will be perfect!

Karen said...

It's been really hard to taper, but so far I'm managing. Next week, I've only got 14 miles planned total, the longest run being 4 mi. Thankfully, Matt and I are planting our garden this week so we've got something else to keep us occupied. :)

I'm pretty sure it is locusts and a hurricane.

Teamarcia said...

WOw the west coast is SO hot right now! Nice week: try not to overdo. You are all set!

Anonymous said...

What a great week you had!! Try to relax and trust in that training :)

Katie said...

You've had a great training cycle! I hope the race day cooperates for you! I know I haven't been commenting as much, but I'm still checking in. :) I love reading about your training and races! Good luck!

Abby said...

I am the same way. I worry about everything when I taper. Little pains freak me out!