All things considered, I enjoy the natural grocery. It has about ten different types of flour. Matt and I have always wanted to make our own bread, but because we lived in a series of very small apartments with even smaller kitchens, we didn't have the room to store three different types of flour. Now we do. And for about two months, we've been baking our own bread. Garlic herbal bread, whole wheat oat bread, and French baguettes. And we're getting pretty good at it. I also make some really delicious w.w. cinnamon rolls. With a little practice, it is almost as easy to make as going to the store and pulling a loaf of the shelf. And I love that my house smells like fresh bread for a day or two. Not to mention the obvious, it tastes 100 times better than the stale-by-comparison store bread. Someday I want to venture into Sourdough, but that takes a few days' advance notice since the starter has to sit for that long.
Every Sunday, we've taken to baking our own bread :
Growing the dough requires enough heat. Guess I'm going to have to bake cookies to warm the place up.
We're also very grateful to have sunny days, in which the entire family takes advantage:

My first shot at mowing the lawn. I did a terrible job.

Zoey explores her new turf.

The peas decide to make an appearance in the sunshine.
I'm very excited about having a garden. We had a patio garden while we rented apartments, but were never able to grow very much with our limited space. I have peas, radishes, and lettuce in the garden now. Our blueberries are blossoming. And I've got some starter broccoli plants inside by our south-facing window. Can't wait until I can eat them!! :) We're still toying with the idea of raising meat chickens, but we're not sure what the neighbors think. The county allows us to have them, but we don't want to make enemies with the neighbors yet....although just a couple more nights of their dog barking from 7pm to midnight and it might help us make up our minds. ;)
California has a long way to even up with Alaska, but so far, any progress is good.


4 comments:
Karen, where is my head? Where? I totally forgot you lived in Eureka. I would have loved to connect. This is where I escaped to from home just a couple of days ago. I love it there. I mean LOVE it there. And since I am not big on going out to eat I did check one of the organic stores.
I know what you mean about herbs. Gee, cocaine and opium come from plants too. I would not call them healthy though. :-)
OK, next time I am in Eureka, I promise to look you up.
I'm glad you got at least part of a sunny day here. :) You'll definitely have to look me up. Hubby and I can show you all the good spots! I'm glad you found Patrick's Point. That was my first CA hike. It's so beautiful there! I just wish it didn't cost $8 to get in or I'd go more often.
Psychedelic mushrooms are natural too. There was an article in our local paper just this week where a guy went nuts and totally mutilated his friend's body after mushroom tea. Absolutely horrific. But it's natural, so it's totally okay.
Having seen a glimpse of Alaska I can see how you'd be in a bit of shock -- but yeah fresh produce is bountiful and relatively inexpensive there in California. I will have to google Eureka because I'm not sure where it is but I'm picturing NorCal? California is an odd place but it would be nice to have so many clear trails year-round. I bet you'll find a place in your heart and live CA differently than AK but love it nonetheless.
Danni,Eureka is about 80 miles south of the CA-OR border, right on the coast. It's usually foggy and wet, but when it's not, it is absolutely breathtaking. I already do love Eureka for different reasons : better shopping, more food choices.
Just when I think the sting of leaving Alaska behind is going away, I read things like your race report and the longing returns. It was fun to read about your reactions to things that Alaskans don't think twice about (ie- the guy with the gun).
Post a Comment