Early early early on May 1, we arrived at the Detroit airport. I didn't sleep at all. We flew over very active thunderstorms and the turbulence felt like someone was shaking me awake the entire time. We touched down just before a wild lightning storm hit. It was so cool! Fairbanks rarely experiences thunderstorms at all, let alone something this strong. I spent the morning with Sam and Grace. I also got to meet Sam's boyfriend, Josh. He seemed to be a really nice guy, they were cute together. All of us were tired so we hung out at Sam/Grace's and then went out for ice cream. It was great to catch up with them.
We went to the farm after Craig's graduation. I slept the entire way. I slept 10 hours a night for the next few nights and took 2 hr long afternoon naps each day--then I was finally rested. Springtime on the farm means lots of baby animals. I helped Matt's mom bottle feed the baby goats and new lambs. I didn't get to witness a lamb being born, but was there shortly after (10 min) an ewe had twins. Very cool.
Matt also showed me something cool with the chickens.
Step 1 : toss large pancake into chicken pen.
Step 2 : watch one chicken grab it in her beak and run away from the others, with giant pancake waving behind her.
Step 3 : Most of giant pancake breaks off without her noticing. Someone else grabs it.
Step 4 : repeat step 2. Different chicken steals pancake.
It's like watching a crazy soccer game, but it's with pancakes and chickens. Totally made my day.
We made a trip to Lansing in the middle of the week. We had dinner with Eleanor and Mike at Old Chicago. It was fun to hear about their upcoming move to Denver, for Eleanor's residency. Then we went to Nick and Michelle's and got a tour of their house. Joel lives only a few miles away and was there visiting too. We also got to meet Nick and Michelle's very needy labradoodle, Ernie. It reminded me of the dog in Shaggy Dog. ((Coincidentally, we'd watch The Shaggy Dog the morning of our marathon on TV while eating breakfast)) We went to the start of Joel's softball game. It started an hour late, so we had to leave to drive home after just one inning. Good visit with N and M, too. It made me miss the wonderful friends I had in college and high school.
Magnificent sunsets. Baby animals. Crazy thunderstorms. Not a bad week.
No comments:
Post a Comment