I love summertime in Alaska. I wait nearly nine months for it to arrive, and when it finally does, it's the most amazing thing in the world. Everyone comes out of hibernation. People and animals are everywhere. Bikers, walkers, people gardening. Animals reappear too. The birds sing, squirrels scurry across the ground and through the trees. The extended daylight hours provide lots of extra time to enjoy the summer. Right now, daylight emerges at 3am and it finally becomes dark about midnight. In about two weeks, darkness will be gone completely...only to return mid-July.
As wonderful as summer is, there is one thing I really miss during the Alaskan summer that I enjoyed in Michigan and Oklahoma : the stars. I had a spot in my hometown that was enough out of town to be dark, but close enough to see the lights of the city. Here, there is a 2 week window that allows for comfortable viewing, with a dark sky and high enough temperature. Matt and I leave for his parents' next Friday, April 30, so tonight and tomorrow night (when he doesn't work at 6am the next morning) are our chance to view the stars. We will still have to dress warmer, pants and a jacket, but it will work...if the sky is clear. Maybe that clear sky will produce some aurora too. *siiigh* I'm so glad winter is over.
No comments:
Post a Comment