Then the cabin was calm. I never realize how quiet Matt and I are together sometimes until it happens abruptly. With Jim's return to town, we were left alone for the remainder of our cabin trip.
![]() |
| Thanks for the fun trip, Jim!! It was great to see you!! |
![]() |
| The high for the day. |
Matt soon returns with a few more small trees. I saw a few of them into stove pieces, contorted into a position that fatigues me quickly. Because I lack strength in my left arm, I often use my left leg for things. It looks really weird but somehow works (ask me sometime about how I get jars open). Human adaptation at its finest.
After a quesadilla lunch cooked right on the wood stove, we decide we should at least spend some time outside for the day. We continue along on foot, leaving our skis at the cabin, and head along the trail, moving deeper into the White Mountains. Unsurprisingly, we are faster on foot, especially without our loaded packs. We cross over Beaver Creek and a burned area and then move east along a ridge.
Off in the distance, the larger peaks appear. I stare straight ahead fixated on a particularly beautiful looking mountain. I attempt to reel it in, picking up the pace.
"I'm not sure if the drool is from the view or from my nose, but it is gorgeous." It is a shame this is as deep as we'll get into this area. We have a feeling that the really cool mountains are less than a day's walk away. Reluctantly, we turn back after an hour.
After the six mile hike, we return with nothing more than a teased taste in our mouths. I always want to know what is just out of view and behind the next turn. That is one of the most beautiful things about Alaska, most of the state is so wild that I'm allowed to explore on a whim.
That night at the cabin, Matt and I enjoy a quiet night reading and crocheting. On our previous cabin trips, I often brought a small crochet project. I've completed many hats and pot holders in these small wilderness oases. This time, I was working on wool socks. Matt spent the evening quietly with his book on the bottom bunk, I rested on the highest perch with my yarn and hook.
"The warm spot is where the Karen is at", Matt and Jim joked with me. I was always able to find the coziest place in each cabin and park myself there for the night. As we slept, a light snow began to fall, keeping the temperatures from plummeting too far below -30F. Tomorrow, we're back on skis.








1 comment:
I love your WARM spot, how fun :). Man, it looks so cold there (um, cuz it is!!)...but I'm glad you're having fun. I don't think I'd be such a trooper. Have fun skiing! :)
Post a Comment