Monday, March 18, 2013

Last Week: March 10-16

Sunday:
Foggy Bottom Milk Run 10 Mile race.
Run 11 mi. total.  It was a new 10 mile PR and showed some really good progress from this time last year.  The weather was PERFECT too.

Monday:
Rest!

Tuesday:
Run 5 mi. easy.
Strength routine: Core, legs, butt.

Wednesday:
Run 10 mi. using Matt's watch.
1:25:42, 8:34/mi.
 Strength: Core, legs, butt.
I felt like I could fly this day.  Awesome. :)

Thursday:
Run 7 mi: 4x1600m.
The best track workout I've ever had.

Friday:
Run 3 mi. easy.

Saturday:
Run 20 miles.2:56:32, 8:50/mi.
I really enjoyed most of this run.  It started out at an 8:45/mi pace (usually a 9:00/mi) and Matt asked me if that was too fast.  I told him that we'd find out if it was. 

I think the increase in pace is probably because we found a route that has enough water refill spots that we can run with a 20 oz. handheld instead of the backpack.  Either way, it was a nice day for a long run.

TOTAL MILES:  56 mi.

Notes:  This was my biggest week thus far.  I'm hoping to have two more 55-60 mile weeks before the taper.  A little momentum came after Foggy Bottom and I really enjoyed this week.  Everything seemed to go well.  My lungs felt very fatigued after the 20 mile run (and still do a little today, Monday), like an elephant was sitting on my chest.  I think the key to finishing training as planned won't be in the mile splits and pace times, it will be with the recovery.  Hopefully I can listen well enough to what my body says and rest on days that my lungs need it.

8 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, girl - you are getting so dang speedy!! Good for you - you are going to nail that next race! I don't think I could even tempo an 8:50 right now. Well done! :)

Alicia Hudelson said...

Hey, I'm new to your blog so maybe I am misremembering this, but weren't you going for a sub-3:30 marathon? With those workouts you can run a lot faster than 3:30!!:)

Karen said...

I'm going for 3:30. The course has a fair amount of climbing on it (about 1200ft), so I think it might still be hard to hit my goal. A pancake flat marathon might yield me something faster, but both of the ones (CIM and Cellcom Green Bay) I did last year had horrible weather so I'm staying home and taking my chances on the hilly local race. :)

Alicia Hudelson said...

Ah, okay, fair enough then. But after the hilly one you should do a flat one and enjoy the sudden jump in PR!

Karen said...

Sounds good. Any small marathon suggestions in the Oct-Dec range? I'm running a trail 50K in the U.P. in August, so I'd need a little time to work back into the pavement. :)

Alicia Hudelson said...

Last year I did the Grand Rapids (Michigan) marathon in mid-October and thought it was perfect--not too big but really well organized, and enough people for it to not be lonely out on the course. Very fast and scenic course, and we had perfect weather.

The other one around that time that I'm really interested in, and that might actually be conveniently near you, is the Two Cities Marathon in Fresno. I haven't done it but it sounds really really good. It's the first weekend in November. Apparently they generally get great weather and the race gets all rave reviews on marathonguide.com

Is that the Marquette 50k you're running? I did the 50 miler there last year, great course!

Karen said...

I'll keep Grand Rapids in mind, it does sound nice.

I ran Two Cities Marathon in 2011! In fact, I'm sitting here in the race sweatshirt (instead of a space blanket at the end, they give you a hoodie). It is a really easy race logistically, the course is a little boring, but good for a PR! :) We visited Yosemite on the way home too, so it was a great vacation.

Yup, it is the Marquette 50K. I did some training on the course last summer, it is beautiful!

Alicia Hudelson said...

Haha! Okay great. I could probably be okay with a boring course if it's in California and good for a PR...