Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Three Things

We all have our favorite hiking or running gear, it can be anything from a favorite pair of sunglasses to a compass, but it is something that always comes along on our adventures.  Recently, I was asked by Mary to talk about my favorite, never-left-behind items.

1.  My camera.  I'm a very visual person, pictures sometimes tell stories better than words can.  What would this blog be without photographs, right?  When I first started trail running, Matt and I went on a trail run near the Portage-Whittier Road in Southcentral Alaska.  If you know anything about this area, you know the bears are everywhere (oh and it rains a LOT a lot).  On our twelve mile run, we packed the bear spray, snacks and some water.  We moved around a corner and there it was, a medium sized black bear, less than 50 feet away.  It crossed the trail, pausing in the middle of the trail to sniff in the air, and then move on.  After my heart settled back in my chest, I couldn't help but wish I had a camera.  It was back in the tent.  The next week, we bought the running camera that I use to share all of my trail photos with you.

I have two other cameras, a DSLR and a Canon Powershot SX150is.  I use them interchangeably depending on how much my pack already weighs.  I feel like I need a pack mule for the SLR camera.  It is kinda heavy.

2.  My adventure hat.  I don't think I've ever gone on a backpacking trip without it.  From that very first trip, to wet and snowy California ones, it comes along.  This hat is easy to take off and not pack away.  Just tie it on.  The wind kicks up and it goes back on quickly.  Tie it under my chin if I'm feeling extra chilly and it almost works as a scarf too.
This was the first trip with my adventure hat. Kayaking near Seward.
Snoozing with the rainbow on Rainbow Ridge.
Last month's White Mountains trip. I swear that is the same hat. :)

3.  My honey.  I know this sounds lame, but I feel really guilty sometimes on the adventures I go on without him.  Just as I feel when he goes on a solo run, the sad puppy at the window, he feels sad without me.  When I hike without him, I constantly question whether I left something behind. 

What are the three things you never forget when you go hiking or running?

5 comments:

Katie said...

Best list ever! I don't have anything cool that I never leave at home when I run. I'm so boring. I run with my Garmin most of the time, but anything else can be swapped out...shoes, clothes, whatever...

Teamarcia said...

Fun!
Hmmm never leave home? Pepper spray, phone and probably my sunglasses.

Meghan said...

I love that hat! It's adorable!

Cinthia said...

I have a hat like that, only it's pink, and I don't look as cute when I wear it either, sigh, sigh.

I usually carry my cell, and I tuck half of a protein bar in my sports bra. Other than that, I run/hike light.

Cheers and happy running,

Karen said...

Cinthia, did you buy yours at Miller's Landing? That's where mine came from. It was surprisingly cold and damp on our first trip to Seward so I had to buy something last minute. :) I bet yours is pretty cute too. Mine reminds me of Charlie Brown's shirt.