Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Last Week: March 17-23

Sunday: Run 4 mi. easy.

Monday: Rest!

Tuesday: Run 6 mi. MRP (in 47:30).  Bike 6.  The wind tried to kill me, but I won. :) 

Wednesday: Run 5 mi easy.

Thursday: Run 8.25 mi. @ 8:25/mi. pace. Strength: Core, legs, butt.  This run felt incredible!  I really enjoy this route too.

Friday: Run 4 mi. on beach in Brookings. 2.5 mi. hike.

Saturday: Redwood Wild River Run 15K race. 1:12:10.  11.5 mi. total.

TOTAL MILES:
Running 38.75
Bike 6
Hike 2.5

Notes:  I went to the allergist again this week for follow-up.  We found that I have a sinus infection and I left with a whole bunch of new meds.  Everything seems to be working and I feel better, save for the stomachache that the antibiotic gives me.  Most runs this week were easy, but I still got in MRP and a race for some faster things.  Now back to the higher miles this week.  I admit, I'm ready to taper now.  My trail season was a little abbreviated between CIM and the Avenue, so I am getting sick of speed and road stuff earlier than usual.  I hit the trails a bunch last weekend and this morning, so I'll just have to prioritize that more and everything will be fine. :)

What do you do when you get bored with training?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bad do you want it?

How did you get up every day to train on the saxophone before it was automatic?

Why are you bored? Every week is faster miles than ever before. Faster races. When you reach a plateau, I may listen to claims of being bored with training.

Karen said...

Danny, I want that 3:30 so badly, and I think that's part of what makes it so scary (and it will technically be my third attempt). It's like I keep waiting for that plateau and psyching myself out a little bit about it.

I think that I'm bored with my routes and feeling like I have to run certain workouts each week. Trail work lets me get back to being slow, playful, and eating a bunch of candy. I just need a little bit more balance in my schedule. :)

We ran the Arcata Forest course today with Alex. As fast as I could go (as my speed training this week) and we only got lost like twice with the course map. It was a nice break from the track and tempo stuff, but killed me in a similar way.

Anonymous said...

If you want it that badly, then you don't need to ask anybody for what to do. (Plus, if anyone said anything you'd already know it...)

BUT, Jeff Edmonds speaks eloquently in many posts about why people have to go out and run everyday and what types of transformations happen to them. If you haven't read his latest post I would read that one and maybe browse through some of his archives. They keep me motivated to keep running the same routes day after day.

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing Jeff's blog, I'll have to add this one to my regular reading.

Maybe bored wasn't the right word. I'm just getting tired and the idea of four more weeks before I begin a taper feels daunting.

I was happy to hear you've signed up for Newport.

Anonymous said...

Last thing and then I'm going to move on from this thread. Saw the below quote on Tuesday:

"It is the most amazing feeling of invincibility, to be able to put on your shoes and head out for a hard run in the hills, and to not feel tired at all makes you feel like you have conquered the land and your body. Anything feels possible after those rare experiences. The rest of the time it is a grind and struggle to survive the hard grind of daily training!"

- New Zealand 2008 Olympic 1500 silver medallist, Nick Willis, when asked to put into words what "running, at its peak, feels like".

I'm not sure if (or how often) Matthew gets in this "tiredless" state, but when I get in the middle of a good training block that is how I feel all day; even if I did 11 miles with 6 mile reps in the middle. I know the workout or the training run will make me tired in one sense (sleep well), but in another it invigorates my enthusiasm for life (how Nick described). Jeff also indirectly and directly philosophies on these conditions. I'm not sure how this tiredless state comes about, all I know is for me to get there I have to run every day even when I think it is the last thing I want to do.