Facebook status on Tuesday
I feel like I've had allergy issues for so long that it is hard to tell when things progressively get worse. Just like watching yourself slowly gain weight, the problem expands gradually. Tuesday morning, I went to the allergist. After completing a survey about my inhaler use, I was informed that my asthma symptoms have not improved. In fact, they have worsened. The doc checked me out, talked to me about my goals. I wanted the headaches to go away. My nose and throat were swollen and red (indicative of a sinus infection, not allergies). I told her about how my back and chest hurt and it was hard to breathe during regular activities after last week's long run.
Since I've been asked about my treatment protocol before, here's what we're doing:
For the sinus infection: Amoxocilin (antibiotic), Prednisone ( the 'roids, like Lance).
For everyday: Patanase (squirty antihistamine), and Qvar (maintenance inhaler).
This collection of meds cost me $100 after insurance. Thank goodness I have decent insurance, who knows what I'd have to do to earn cash for them otherwise.
As often happens with new medications, I feel great for the first few days. I'm sure part of it is the placebo effect. Only time will indicate if this is the right treatment for me. The doctor will see me again the week before the Avenue of the Giants Marathon. Hopefully I'll be feeling awe-some!
That afternoon, Matt and I went on my 6 mile MRP run. I wasn't feeling very well. Partly it was my fault. Rich brownies before a run...not the best fuel. It was also windy. The first three miles went by well enough, I hit paces well within the goal range. I felt slightly nauseous (antibiotic and those delicious brownies). The return trip was into the 20mph wind. I remembered back to a MRP run last fall that was similarly windy. It sucked. I was barely breaking an 8:00/mi. and effort levels skyrocketed. It was not the least bit enjoyable. Thankfully, the marathon will be under the protection of those lovely giant Redwoods.
Matt paced me for this run using his watch. I could tell when he went too fast or too slow, I'm beginning to feel what the pace is relative to how it feels.
Here's how it went: (goal 7:49-8:00)
47:30, 7:55/mi average.
7:58, 7:48, 7:55, 7:53, 7:55, 7:59.
I rode my bike with Matt on his run immediately after that. He agreed it wasn't just me. Tough weather builds character.
Have you ever taken the medications I'm on now? How did they work for you?
Do you let yourself off the hook a little bit when the weather slows you down or do you grind through it? Admittedly, I usually grind through it. Didn't work out so well at CIM, but it is fine on most training runs. :)
3 comments:
I've been in the brownie zone lately. need to get out but can't seem to stop! They're soooooo gooooood.
I am so glad I don't usually suffer with allergies, because respiratory crap makes me bonkers. And antibiotics jack up my already jacked up stomach (just finished a round for strep yesterday. gross.)
I hope this combo works well for you!
Mary, Maybe I'm evil, but you should check out this recipe if you like dark chocolate brownies: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mmm-Mmm-Better-Brownies/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes
So yummy. Not recommended before a run. :)
Bobbi, Antibiotics hate my belly too, but a probiotic helps me a lot. I can feel a difference today with the meds. Yesterday was the first day since Alaska that I could breathe clearly through my nose!!!!! I hope it stays that way. It is also getting out of the time of year that I'm allergic to blooming things.
Post a Comment