Saturday, March 16, 2013

My fastest miles ever.

Ever since our return from Alaska, I've felt a little less bogged down by my allergies.  Dare I say it, but I think the dehumidifier is working.  I still feel stuffy by the end of the day, but I don't start out the day that way either.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I've also regained some momentum in my training since the Foggy Bottom race.  This could not have come at a better time as I'm about to finish the first big training week of the season, capping at somewhere in the 45-50 mile range.

Thursday's track workout helped me realize that the momentum isn't only in my head.  The plan called for 8x800m, but Matt and I have enjoyed mile repeats so much lately that we decided to do 4x1600m instead.

Here's what happened: 
1 mi. warmup, {1600m under 7:10, 400m recovery}x4, 1 mi cooldown
Dear Danny, here's my proof for 4x1600m ;) Those petols will be miiiiine!


During the first repeat, I went out too fast and fizzled a little bit for the last 400m.  Then, to my surprise, they kept getting faster.  Prior to this the only times my Garmin has ever documented something under a 7:00/mi is when Matt used my watch.  I not only ran a personal mile record, but I ran THREE.  That completely made my day.

The second mile felt just as hard as the first but was paced a little better.
The third, I was so jazzed on my time that it carried me through.
The fourth and final one, a deer wandered into my lane and leisurely trotted along ahead of me, pacing part of one of my laps.  Do you think he'll come back to pace me in the marathon?

Matt had a similar day and shared his motivation for finishing strong.  Just before the workout, he saw an ad for Shamrock Shakes at McDonald's.  This is the only reason he ever wants to go there and was the first time we visited one in California.  "Shamrock shake, shamrock shake," he said he whispered to himself on the final miles.

He decided we needed to make a special trip to town to get one on our way home.  How could I say no to that face?

7 comments:

bobbi said...

SO SO FAST!! That's just outstanding - great job!

Shamrock shakes are a huge hit in my house too :)

Mary said...

I remember doing a 5:54 or something like that in a one mile race and I got an embarrassingly huge trophy. I still have it. :) Those days are long behind me now but never forgotten. It's amazing what the body can do, isn't it?

Meghan said...

Holy cow, you are fast! Whoa!

Unknown said...

WOWZAS! Go go gadget fast legs! That is incredible. My husband bought a Shamrock shake to share because I never had one before. I wish he hadn't. I love mint. Mmmmm

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congrats! Those are some speedy miles - especially to run all in one workout! Nothing will top a classic vanilla milkshake for me...flavors just get in the way.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what you are saying with the caption. Do you want the 21:39 5K or the petols? If you run the necessary mile reps then bag the 5k race deals off!!!

The mile reps look really good. It is personally looking like the petols are safe in my possession because you'll be easily running under 21:39 in June/July/August.

Karen said...

Thanks everybody. It is fun to have a workout surprise me once in awhile. I'm not really into Shamrock shakes either...but there is Dairy Queen planned for this week, so I'll reward myself (half a dozen times) there.

Mary, that is crazy fast. If I ever get something under a 6:00/mi, that would be AWESOME!

Danny, I thought you meant for every 10 sec I go below 21:39, I get petols, but I realize now you meant the other way around. Will you be running the Wild River Run 15K this upcoming weekend in Crescent City?