Matt and I took our run today to the new coastal trail. The sun was shining, a light breeze blew in the air. By all accounts, it was a perfectly wonderful day. Then the tsunami siren sounded. If you've ever heard one, you know they are LOUD and unmistakable for anything else. They sound like air raid horns, example here. It provokes an eerie feeling and always reminds me of those WWII movies with bombing scenes. Airplanes flew close to the ground and broadcast an audio message up and down the entire coast.
![]() |
| That's a lotta yellow. |
Thankfully, today's events were just a test of the emergency equipment and for the cooperating agencies. But it got me to thinking further about my personal plans in the event of a major earthquake and tsunami.
![]() |
| I do some runs out here. This map is about the only thing that tells you which sand dune is high enough to possibly save your butt. |
Map source
Do you live in a tsunami prone area? Does your plan include what to do if you're out running when the big earthquake hits?


2 comments:
When I lived in sitka, I used to just shrug and not worry about it too much. (Most of the sirens seem to come at night for some reason). The bears were a more immediate threat!
OH MY GOODNESS that's so scary! It's world ending here if there's a snow storm, and Sandy was a complete disaster. Different coasts different woes!
Post a Comment