I’ve run a lot of half marathons over the course of my
running career and I’ve never felt as horrible as going into this one. The sinus infection seems to be letting up,
but the side effects from such a strong antibiotic (including nausea, severe
dizziness, and stomachache when I ate anything) made me feel worse than the
infection did. Matt was specifically
instructed to rest until his course of meds was complete, that got me thinking
about whether I should run.
By 2am today, I was still awake, pondering the risks of
running on an antibiotic whose very serious side effect of tendon rupture, Matt
flopped around in the bed, alternating coughing with thrashing around. I made a deal with myself about the race, I’d
go for the AG win in the half marathon, but if I felt a niggling pain in my
legs at all, even a little one, it was walking time until it let up. I figured that the tendon problem could only
occur if I were truly pushing hard and ignoring warning signs. Muscles almost always give a warning when
simply running. I made a point to heed
their warning if necessary.
I started out the race with Tanya. She ran a 13.3 mi uphill mountain race last
weekend and today was purely in it for participation. She and I chatted with other race regulars
and found a group of us that were nursing broken and tired bodies. The first part of the year, our club has a
race each month, but during the summer, there is one nearly every weekend. And we almost always run it hard. I find that today, my third race weekend in a
row, I am also guilty of beating myself up in races. Tanya and
I both decided that 2:00 would be a good goal.
We chatted along energetically as we ran the gentle downhill course. It felt like a large training run. When we reached mile two, I realized how fast
we were going, more along the lines of a 1:42 pace. This is the only course that I intentionally go faster than planned on the first half. We split up soon after that as I went ahead.
We headed down toward Clam Beach, again on my favorite long
run route. I didn’t realize how foggy it
was until we hit the vista point at the top of the bluff. The ocean was gone. The highway was gone. I could only see the runners less than .25 mi
ahead of me. A thick wall of fog
swallowed the speedier runners and they disappeared. Goosebumps formed as I ran into the gentle
breeze. It was then I realized I was
completely soaked, not in sweat, but the moisture film that settles from the
fog cloud. Running along Clam Beach
Road, although I’ve run this road dozens of times before and know every little
bump, I became disoriented.
I was surprised at every turn in the road. It almost felt like running with my eyes
closed. Everything was different in the
thick, pea soup fog.
Matt and Danny were
manning the halfway point aid station and gave me a quick high five and asked
how I was. “I should have walked the
three-miler today,” I replied. I wasn’t
enjoying the thought of returning to the coastal bluffs. I was surprised to reach the halfway point in
53:00, just one minute slower than last year’s PR performance.
I don’t usually talk with anyone while I’m racing and didn’t
realize how easy I was taking it on myself until I chatted with Bob and a
couple other runners while we kept the same pace. When I reached the main hill,
a nice 200 ft. of climbing in just over ¼ mi, soreness appeared in my
hamstring. Immediately I slowed and the
pain let up. I normally have little
tweaked spots at this point in a race, but I didn't want any tweaks with the warnings my medication gave. I walked. I resumed running when the tightness let up,
sailing past the girl in the blue sequin tutu that passed me on the hill. I had to walk a portion of the next hill as
well and that pretty much forced me to give up on running fast. Bob disappeared into the fog and I was alone
with Tutu Girl following me closely.
Suddenly, Tutu Girl screamed and I turned my head to see
what the problem was. “Sorry to scare
you, I just stepped on a frog. It just
came out of nowhere and I squished it.”
That lightened my sour, defeated mood.
Just when we lady runners claim to be tough and powerful, something as
little as a frog or slug makes us squeal in terror. I love that.
After mile 11, I was running on fumes. My body had exactly 10 miles of energy for
this run and I had burned it all up. I
crossed the finish line in 1:49.27 placing first in my AG. I love that a low energy, part walking run
can result in a time like that. It makes
me feel like I need to start praying now that I have a stars-aligning kind of
race at Humboldt Redwoods Half, because I would F-L-Y.
It has been awhile since I had a smile finishing photo! :)
Fun fact: It is uncomfortable to bend my left thumb when I'm running, so I'm almost always running with a thumbs up!
1:49.27.
8:20/mi.
Overall: 17
Female: 8
Age Group, F25-29: FIRST !!!!! <--basically my only goal for the day
Race photo credit : Y. Kim, SRRC.
Race photo credit : Y. Kim, SRRC.



2 comments:
So stellar!!!! Congrats on your WIN!!!!
Congrats on the AG win! Sorry the last 3 didn't feel as good as the first 10 but way to push through :-)
Post a Comment