Just like that, the fog lifted. It must have been my Summer Visitor post from
earlier this week that drove the clouds away.
Sometimes the Redwood Curtain feels like an invisible barrier, where
things are the very same on both sides.
This summer has felt more isolating, at least in terms of the
weather. There have been at least a
dozen wildfires burning within 100 miles of here. Their air is hot and smoky. Everyone complains of the poor air quality
and smoke headaches. Out here on the
coast, there’s absolutely no sign of that other than what we see on the evening
news. It is business as usual. If nothing else, it is foggier this year
because of the prolonged heat and drought inland.
Matt and I took our MRP runs to Samoa yesterday. Samoa is essentially a sandbar that includes
a handful of small towns and shipyards as well as our local U.S. Coastguard
station. This is typically the foggiest
of our running spots. I decided that I
didn’t want to do any more miles than I needed, so it would be MRP straight
from the beginning. The first mile felt
like heaven. My skin drank in the
delicious sunshine, as if it had to gluttonously swallow every moment before
the clouds returned. Our route moves
gently up and down as we glide over the paved sand dunes. Somehow it feels like we go at a slight
uphill the whole way. By the 2.5-mile
turnaround, I realized I was far ahead of pace.
I couldn’t believe how wonderful I felt.
Instead of slowing down my second half to make it an even 8:00/mi
average, I decided to see if I could hold it.
Not a big deal doing MRP runs too fast at this point, I’m sure they’ll
be closer to prescribed pace once I add faster-than-MRP-pace speedwork in.
As soon as we turned around, the 10mph north wind hit
us. It felt incredible. As someone that sweats so profusely in the
90%+ humidity we have every day, I actually thrive in windier conditions as it
cools me off more quickly. By mile 4, I
realized I was actually going uphill and it wasn’t one of those sand-induced
mirages. My main goal was to keep from
using Matt as a wind break. Here are my
splits:
After half a bottle of water, Matt and I set off on his MRP
run. Since his goal pace is 6:40/mi (he’s
going for a 2:55 marathon), I jumped on the bike. The wind completely dried my sweaty clothes
and I felt refreshed. It was a nice
active cool down for my legs, and again, they absolutely loved the
sunshine. Matt nailed his race pace run
too, averaging a 6:38/mi.
Apparently, I also did some swimming as part of my run was three feet below sea level. Thank you Garmin, for giving me a triathlon today.
Matt pointed out something encouraging on the run that day:
Even though my MRP runs are faster than last time, I seem to struggle less with
them. I can actually hold a conversation
with him until the last mile when it gets difficult. Last time, I mostly made grunting sounds and
forced words like “So. Tired. Must. Stop.
Hurts. So. Much.” I suggested it
was because I’m running more faster stuff and am just getting used to the pain
difference that comes with speed rather than endurance training. He just thinks I’m getting stronger. Lord, I hope so, because some days I think
that going for a 3:30 marathon is downright terrifying. But if I keep at it and train smart, there’s
no reason it shouldn’t happen…eventually…right?


2 comments:
I'm with Matt - you are SO much stronger! It's so fun to watch (and really inspiring too!)
Samoa sounds so so pretty! I love those small towns, what a great feeling they have. My husband is from Grand Haven, MI and it's a coastguard town; we used to go to the coastguard festival every year in August there. Anyway, great run..definitely got that 3:30 in ya! :)
Samoa is essentially a sandbar that includes a handful of small towns and shipyards as well as our local U.S. Coastguard station.
Post a Comment