Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Running Club


As much as I like to credit the weather with my consistency in running (you know, except this summer of perpetual illness), another part is equally, if not more responsible: my local running club.
For the $30 family rate membership, Matt and I gain free entry to all but a handful of the local races.  The races come with none of the modern frills like medals or t-shirts, but we get a bib number, a finish photo, and entered into the club circuit.  It is similar to what I understand the running clubs to be like in the 1980s.  All you get as a reward at the finish line is the thrill of running your best, and probably some watermelon or fresh coffee, depending on the season.  Those are the tangible benefits to the club.

What I find even more valuable than the free races is the camaraderie.  Since I’m smack in the middle of the baby-making age group, most of my competition comes from the 50-55 year old man category.  As they gracefully run into their senior years, nothing makes them more motivated than being passed by a girl that just this spring, was minutes behind them in the finish results.  They aren’t slowing at all, but I’m getting faster.  That makes them pretty killer competition.  

Two men in particular, Barry and Bob, keep reminding me of the one great race I’ve had this year: Dow’s Prairie, where they both couldn’t catch me at the end.  Ever since then, I’ve caught them looking over their shoulder when they hear someone behind them.  I’ve suddenly gone from the invisible, non-threat; to the person they “have to beat”.  This motivates me even more to hit the races.  These men, and others, notice when I have an off day and when I am feeling great.  If I miss a race, they ask where I’ve been.  If I’m slower, they ask if I’ve been sick (yessssss! Omg, yes!!) or hurt.  No course is flat, so times rarely matter.  But placing ahead of so-and-so is what we bust our butts for.  

We get invitations to runner nerd it up together at 3am on a Sunday morning to watch the Olympic men’s marathon on live TV.   

We find new running buddies (yaaaaaay! Tanya and Danny).  We trade secrets on self-treating injuries.

The club isn’t just for competitive people.  We have a solid group of walkers and beginners too.  The youngest regular racer is about 10 years old, the oldest is 85 and have everybody in between. Most of the front-racers can be found clapping and cheering at the finish until the last person comes over the line.

Thank you, SRRC, for shaping me into a competitive athlete.  I’m not a front-runner, but within my solid group of 8:00-milers, I never feel like I’m without somebody to challenge my limits.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Very cool. I've been talking to a lot of people about the amazing 10k in London. Farah and Rupp's display of support and goodwill was an incredible inspiration for a lot of us.

As a man in the 50-55 category, I am especially touched by your open mindedness. Friends come in many sizes,shapes, ages and genders. It sounds like a great group of people. And seems like the relationship has been mutually beneficial. Great post.

MegG said...

I wish our running club was like this! Seattle can be so weird about social groups. That being said, I met a good majority of my friends and my husband via the Seattle Running Club. No one runs as much anymore and they don't self host races (and don't have the money) but it would be so cool to have a group like that in the area.

Cinthia said...

I love running clubs, though I mostly run alone or just with one person. What I love most is the no-frills aspect. I hate spending $30-$50 for a race and a tee-shirt I'll probably never wear.
Also love what you said about the 50-55 age group (wait, could that be me??)'cause I know how cool it feels to beat that younger runner, hee, hee.
Cheers and happy running.
P.S. It's warm enough here to run in a tank top!!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama said...

I just started running with a group this past year and it has helped so much! It's great motivation plus I've learned so much from every single person.

Jill said...

I didn't know you ran with this group, that is really very cool. What a great deal and such great motivation and experience. :)

Katie said...

Running clubs are super cool! I want to run with my local club, but being one of those "baby makers" has stolen some of my time. ;) I think when the youngest is a bit older, I'll be joining. I'd really love to do track workouts with them, but they do track work right around baby bedtime. Hope you're feeling better!