We had grand plans for Wednesday. Wonderful, yet elaborate plans to run the
most gorgeous stretch of our local coastline: the Lost Coast Trail. Late Tuesday night, one running buddy sent an
email about a job interview he received, unfortunately it was on Wednesday and
he’d spend all day just driving there for the meeting. Matt and I have a single car, and the 25 mile
run would be extended to 50 if we couldn’t find an expensive shuttle.
Our disappointment quickly blossomed from a road run at home
to a 22-mile run on our favorite trails at Humboldt Redwoods S.P. So by 10am, we were out on the River Trail in
the super humid forest. The trail wove
between some moderately sized giants, swirling up and down while overlooking
the Eel River. At various spots along
the trail, hikers had shed clothing, leaving large piles on the trail marker
signs and stuffed into holes in stumps.
They made no effort to hide their things at all. Somehow, my conscience prevailed and I passed
by without stealing a really beautiful Nike DriFit shirt in my size (Matt found
a similar one in his size too!!) that hung on a mileage marker.
Then we began our eastern approach to Grasshopper Peak. We have only done this particular trail once,
and we quickly remembered why. It gains
3,000 ft. over 5.8 miles and is gentle enough of an incline the whole way that
there is never a flat spot but just steep enough that I’m unable to keep
running. Frustration quickly grew as the
trail that wasn’t visually that steep completely wrecked me. The 80F temperatures and 75F dew point
equated to 93% humidity and something that I really wasn’t acclimated to
handle. Sweat poured from everywhere,
Matt joked that I looked like I swam across the river. He also stopped once to inspect his
pack. His back was so saturated (he
doesn’t sweat as much as I do so for him, a drenching day is rare) that he
wondered if his pack bladder sprung a leak.
Turns out the moisture was coming from outside his pack.
In just an eight mile stretch, I drank 1.5 liters of water
and was still thirsty. Then it dawned on
me. I’m not really training for anything long at the moment, so I don’t have to
keep going through this suffering. My
legs were dragging, my chest hurt from the heavy breathing. We turned around about 7.5 miles into our
run, and about 2/3 of the way up Grasshopper Peak.
Immediately it was apparent why we were struggling on the
terrain. Our descent jammed our toes to
the front of our shoes as we moved along the steep hill. It is rare for me to cut a run short, but I
definitely needed it, and I don’t beat myself up over it. We walked/ran back the way we came and when
we reached the final bridge over the Eel River to the Women’s Club Grove, we
swam across the river instead. The water
felt incredible. Families were set up on
the river’s rocky banks; enjoying their picnics and watching us swim across
fully clothed. I kicked along in my
gaiters and blue Cascadias, forgetting all about the horrible run I had just
had. Salt washed from my parched skin. I was refreshed.
The rest of the week would feel much like this run did. I can tell that I’m still far from recovered
from the flu I had a month ago. It does
not appear to be over-training this time.
How do I know? Well, I haven’t
been able to smell ANYTHING since the first day of my 101F fever on June 20, in
fact, the only thing I can detect is the persistent scent of cigarette smoke (you
know, even when I’m not enjoying my pack-a-day treat). I got through the week by taking a full rest
day between each of my running days. The
run days felt incredible, and the rest days I was completely wrecked and napped
on the couch. I will likely take the
same approach to this week, forgetting about the training plan entirely. If this week doesn’t show some improvement, I
will see the doctor and probably take a more extensive rest period (starting
with a full week of no exercise, something I haven’t done in a very long
time). I want to completely kick
whatever it is I have before I head into true marathon training. This seems the best approach to me.
Have you ever lost your sense of smell? Did it take a long time to come back? What was the cause?
I can still taste things, but smell is gone completely
except for the cigarette smoke smell. My
online searches point to a deep and serious sinus infection, so a visit to the
doctor for a more badass antibiotic may be the key.








3 comments:
Um, that sounds really awful, the only thing you can smell is cigarettes? That would drive me insane. Get to the doctor, lady, ASAP, report back. I don't know how you've managed to run through all of that. You'll start jumping out of your skin by day three of rest week, (that you should 100% take) but sometimes it more challenging to treat your body with what it needs than with extra miles. Feel better, and soon!
I say yes - back to the doc with you. You needed a stronger or different round of meds.
The humidity is wrecking me so much lately. I have found that I can handle the heat ok, but gosh - I can't acclimate to this humidity. After just 10 miles on Saturday, mostly in shade even, I stood in the parking lot and wringed out my skirt into a big puddle on the ground, over and over again. 18 turned into 10, and I was so so ok with that.
Feel better!
Too bad your plans to run the Lost Coast didn't work out. Although, from the sounds of your health issues, it was probably for the best. Let me know if you're thinking about rescheduling. I could provide the second vehicle for the shuttle, although I'd of course have to make room for the long drive from the South Bay area.
When I was 20 or so, I had the same cold for nearly four weeks — lingering sore throat and sinus infection. There didn't seem to be any reason for it; it didn't really develop into something worse like pneumonia. It was just persistant and annoying, and eventually it went away on its own. Hope that happens for you soon. Antibiotics are a good idea if you haven't tried that already.
One last comment — I have to agree about the deceptive steepness of the Grasshopper Trail (I'm assuming you took the same route we did, as I recognized the bridge) I hiked it when my shins were at their worst. Going up I told my friend Leah "at least the trail is kinda flat, shouldn't be too painful to walk down." Wow was I wrong about that.
Post a Comment