"Be sure to pack a sweatshirt and pants. Our summers aren't very warm." This is the warning that I give everyone that comes to visit our little foggy town. Nobody believes that I can live in California and have to wear jeans all summer long. Fog blankets the coast, so thick that it actually accumulates on nearby surfaces. It is hard to tell whether I am sweating a lot more or if I'm drenched from meteo sources. Nobody believes that my browned skin is genetic and not at all related to our (lack of) sunshine. Nobody believes that the town set a new record one day in July, receiving 0.07" of precipitation, from nowhere else but that moist fog cloud.
Perhaps none of our visitors believe us because the sun magically appears. After weeks of either low fog and drizzle or mid level clouds, bright light and blue fill the sky. We notice the difference, as people flock to the beach. The temperature is actually three degrees lower than the previous day, but the lack of clouds makes the 90% humidity feel "hot".
My childhood friend, Neal, from sunny and triple digit Sacramento, noticed right away. "Is it always this cloudy here? Did you know I had to stop and buy a jacket when I first got to town?" We explained that this was actually a bright day with only about 50% cloud cover.
Early July brought Austin to town. You'll remember we visited him in Monterey last year. His town gets much more sunshine than us, but he's no stranger to coastal fog. Again, sunshine and fair sky greeted him.
Brittany and Oliver, our friends from Fairbanks, stopped to visit during a road trip along the coast. After a few days of cloudy weather along Highway 1, they were surprised to see sunshine here. So were we. As natives of the PNW, they were used to dressing for the moisture and fog, but found themselves peeling off insulating layers as the sun appeared and disappeared.
So basically, none of our friends believe that those sunny days are unusual. To me, all it means is that I need to have company more often! What do you think?



3 comments:
I would'nt miss the heat but I'd definitely miss the sun. Yep, you definitely need company more often!
Yes! You need more visitors! :)
I definitely don't like it super hot or super cold, but Colorado has more more sunny days/year than any other state, I feel my mood sink whenever I go elsewhere and it's gloomy weather (well, I like one day of gloom, not a summer of gloom). But I can definitely visit cooler weather any time - especially for a race :).
Post a Comment