It has taken me a long time to become that person. I grew up as a people-pleaser, trying to keep peace in an otherwise chaotic family. But if I continued to please my family, I would be living in my hometown with a pile of kids, still smack in the middle of my family’s daily drama. When I left home to attend school, it was liberating. A life without constant tension: was it possible? Deep down, I know that is one of the main reasons I chose Matt as my husband, he had perfected a life of chill and I so desired to be that way too. I moved far, far away, and never returned. Call it selfish, but it as the university years passed by, I realized I had to discover a life that made me happy.
The funny thing is I never thought I’d add running fast to that list. Not only have I given up hating speed work with a fiery passion, I’ve come to enjoy and look forward to it. I admit, the best part of it is being done, but that runner’s high makes me tingle in the way a 6 hr. run in the forest can. Since I can’t run six hours every day, it really is the next best thing. Here’s how my speed workouts went this week:
Tuesday: 3 miles, MRP. Uneasy about running it on a harder route, I was surprised that it came as easy as it did. I just went out and told myself to run that pace and I could do it; then bam, it did. Matt and I ran together and he commented once “Wow, look at you, busting out your MRP like it’s nothing.” It really felt great that day.
Thursday: 5 miles, 3 fast. Last week, I did these at a 3x1mi, so I figured the next step is to do 2x1.5 mi:
11:15 (7:32/mi)
11:25 (7:35/mi)
I feel more confident now. I think part of it is that I don’t expect myself to run really fast everysingleday. Taking one or two running days a week to just go really slow has done a lot for my mojo, not to mention it lets me recover properly too.
Just as running too slowly is not hitting a goal pace, running too fast is as well. I have plenty of opportunity to run fast in other workouts, so running a MRP run at tempo pace will only hurt me later. Faster isn’t always better. All things that smart people will tell me, but I only have to experience for myself before I actually learn.
I feel better-rounded as a runner when I run at a variety of paces. From the 14:00/mi trail runs to the 6:25/mi wind sprints, I have pulled myself from the pace rut I’m accustomed to living in. I feel stronger in my legs, my heart, my lungs, and perhaps most importantly, in my head. The former parameters I set in my head that told me that my 5K pace was probably the fastest I could run? Gone. Truth is, I don’t know how fast I can go, but finding out should be fun.
I am still the girl that dreads the thought of running on the oval torture track, but I’ve come a long way from absolutely hating the feeling of running hard. I’ve got a long way before I can consider myself cured of stupid training errors, but at least I’m making a step in the right direction, yeah?
For the record, a crazy family is also a good thing.

5 comments:
I have really learned a lot by varying my paces this year. I think it's tougher to manage when you are already as slow as I am (I find it tough to run as slow as I am supposed to on long runs) but by mixing it up, my legs feel better, and I can endure my fast pace longer.
No snowman's 1/2 for me this year :( My friend who has multiple myeloma will be undergoing a stem cell transplant then, and I have promised an open home to their kids...
I recently added speed back into my routine and it made a huge difference in performance, but has also been a nice change in the routine.
I am not nearly as fast as you are but I know what you mean about the high after speed training. That feels soooo good! After such a run I feel I can handle anything my life brings.
I used to dread/hate speed work too but I finally gave in and started adding it to my training and just like you, I've actually come to enjoy and look forward to it (in a weird masochistic kind of way ; ) It really is awesome to put in a hard effort and see your speed improve. And yeah, it definitely makes you feel more confident. Good for you!
Not at all related to the running aspects of this post: I appreciate a life of chill myself! I need to find the person who brings out that side of me.
Post a Comment