Monday, January 23, 2012

Going Public

For as long as my blog has been around, my family has not known about it.  In fact, most people in my life do not know it exists.  I definitely don’t feel like I have anything to hide…but maybe I should.

All joking aside, the main reason I don’t share it is that if my family read about my adventures, I would have absolutely nothing to talk about during our Sunday afternoon chats.  Since both of my parents are on Facebook, I haven’t shared it with anyone for fear of it accidentally leaking out to my immediate family.  For some reason, it feels more comfortable to share with complete strangers from all corners of the world than it does my own family.  Maybe it’s because they could (and would) judge me.  But most of all, I think what has stopped me in the past is the fact that I can’t undo my decision to share once I’ve made it.

Where I’m conflicted on this issue is that I think they would really enjoy reading about my adventures.  As Facebook has changed in recent months, I find myself shifting focus to my blog as a means of recording my travels and sharing fewer photos with them.

I’m looking for your input on this:  If you keep a blog, do you share it with your family?  Have you ever regretted your decision?  How does your family react to your blog?

Here's a little bit of my day to amuse you:
Sorry Matt, it looks like there won't be room in the suitcase for the rest of your stuff after all!

11 comments:

Beccarigg said...

I have 2 blogs, a family blog and my running blog. At first I only shared my family blog with my family since they love seeing pics of the kids but I didn't think they'd really care about my running adventures. I finally shared my running blog with them too and I think it's actually inspired some of my sisters to get more active. They don't comment much but sometimes when we talk they'll bring up something they saw on the blog so I know they're reading it : )

I'm sure your family would love seeing this blog. You're a great writer and you always have such cool pictures. Might be fun for them to see those things : )

Danni said...

We started the blog specifically for family and it sort of unintentionally morphed into a running type blog. My co-workers and family all read it so I am careful to tailor it accordingly.

Coach Jen said...

I haven't intentionally not told family, but most don't know. A few friends who also blog read it and my husband has a few times. Most of my blog readers are people I've never met. I started it to connect with other runners and now moms.

bobbi said...

It's something you can't undo. I never broadcasted my blog, but I didn't hide it either, so I've always filtered that way - I never wanted to hurt anyone by what I've posted.

But there are many things about which I cannot delve into. And sometimes that anonymous outlet would be nice. But even before they knew about it, I posted pictures of my family, so I always operated under the assumption that someday they could. Since you do as well, it's safe to say that they could stumble here at some point...

Amanda @ HappyMotherRunner said...

I don't share it with family. I did "once" at an ungodly hour post the link to my facebook. I know that nobody saw it. I've only shared it with friends, who do not communicate with family. Because the truth is, my running is inspired through them pissing me off. And hence I write about it. So, yeah it might just get out how I complain about my in-laws...LOL!

Anonymous said...

I shared it and sometimes, many times, I feel like I have to edit my life. I would probably do it differently now. I feel like it has stifled me. And I am a regular commenter to your blog but I am posting anonymously in case they see it! Sigh.

Katie said...

I've shared my blog info with family, but I think only my mom reads it. I have my blog address in my Facebook info, but don't constantly post when I post. I guess I want friends and family to be aware that I have a blog, but I don't really expect anyone to read it. I've never regretted sharing my blog info. :)

Ewa said...

It all depends on the family, doesn't it? I find that families are often less supportive than friends but they are also more likely to tell you uncomfortable truth.
I guess it all depends on what YOU are looking for from wring your blog and if you feel your family would give you that.

Ewa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaina said...

I have shared with my family, but since they aren't forced to read it, they usually don't. They like to look, but they get busy.

Sometimes though, I can articulate more clearly in writing than over the phone and if I hadn't had a chance to converse fully, I'll write a post and email it to them.

That being said, it isn't too difficult to find anyone's blog nowadays [eg I had no idea my boss knew anything about seagulls!], so it likely wouldn't remain hidden forever.

Either way, post what you feel comfortable with and what you WANT to post. It's your blog. "Happiness never decreases by being shared."
[-shaina]

k said...

I have 2 - my almost 7 year old one where I spill my guts about everything and anything, and then my more recent one about my adventures in Norway for family and friends.

After blogging semi-anon for so many years, it is nice to share stories with people who know me (obviously I don't share all on that blog). It is surprising to find out who read regularly (sent out a big email list of people) and people seem to really like reading.