Our first trip was to the South Jetty of Humboldt Bay.
"That is one freakin' huge stump," my brother-in-law, Craig exclaimed. Craig is one of those people who speaks whatever is on his mind the instant it pops into his head. Sometimes this gets him into trouble, but it was fun to see our new home through his eyes. The winds were calm and fog was beginning to close in on the bay.
Water particles hung in the air with such saturation that I could taste the salt and sand mixed into the air. Waves smacked against the jetty walls. He stood near the wall and shouted, "bring it on Pacific". I stood, calmly poised to catch the Brother-in-Law-Drencher-Shot.
Walking back to the beach and scanning the eastern horizon, I found the house-covered hilltop that is my home. It took 20 miles of driving to get to this spot, but home was less than a mile away, directly across the water.
Matt's cousin, Jenny came to explore California too. She had recently acquired a new boyfriend just days before the trip and glanced up at the scenery in between sending text messages (this eventually drove me absolutely INSANE). It was easy to tell which things she found the most interesting because she'd carefully place her phone in her pocket, out of sight, for a few moments. She was particularly mesmerized by the waves and made a game out of running just ahead of the surf as the water came rushing in.
We drove away just as the sun was beginning to set. It was 8pm. With virtually no difference in temperature, it was odd for the days to be getting longer. Eureka varies a mere eight degrees (daytime high) from winter to summer. The only difference is in precipitation and cloud cover.

1 comment:
But this IS one freaking huge stump. I like people who speak their minds. At least I know who I am dealing with.
CA is such an amazing place to live and you know how much I love Eureka.
Now the last photo is just taking my breath away. What a reflection of land in the sky.
Can't wait for part 2.
Post a Comment