Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I want your opinion on this! please comment!!

On a particularly crappy afternoon here in Eureka, where the rain came down sideways, I decided to do a tempo run. The only thing that convinced me to go out and run was my iPod. I normally don't listen to music at home, so it feels like an extra special treat when I use it on a run. The run actually wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Cruising along with my Tom Petty, Lady Gaga, and Mes Aieux (fun Quebecois group nobody in the US has heard of), it almost bordered on fun.

That got me to thinking that maybe I should race with my music. I generally don't like to race with music and have only done it once :
2009, Campus Hill Run. It was -30F and icy. I had to convince myself to run : "Do it with music and it'll be ok." Ice actually built up inside my shoes (and it feels like you have a rock stuck inside), my eyelashes froze together and froze my eye shut--I had to remove a glove to and apply a warm finger to get it to open again. I had carefully placed my ipod cord underneath layers, but there was a tiny bit showing where it went from my coat to my snow pants pocket (so I could change to a different song if I liked). This bit of cord snapped off completely after just two miles. I was disappointed that my music died, but I was warmed up enough to keep going without the crutch.
----
I am considering running the last 10K of Green Bay with my iPod. I struggle there the most and maybe having something to focus on OTHER than how much I want to lay down in those soft, green lawns the last few miles and nap for a few hours instead of finishing. Music might give me just enough motivation and distraction to keep on going.

BUT

Part of the reason I like to run races is to hear the crowd and chat with other runners. The last 10K in particular is where we are all digging deep down to find the thing to keep us going. We lean on each other for support, a family of strangers. I'd miss out on that with music.

So what are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Danni said...

I prefer to race with music if I can (i.e. the rules permit). If I feel like I need/want to talk to people I take the earbuds out and chitchat. I find that if I'm really racing I don't want to talk to anyone ever at all so the earbuds help deter people from talking to me.

Ewa said...

I am not a racer but when I run with the music it is at such a volume that I can actually hear people talking or even bikes approaching. Works for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I've been lurking for a bit, I don't quite remember how I came across you, but anyway...

I typically don't run with music but I did last weekend and I kept thinking why don't i do this all the time. But if I did it all the time it probably wouldn't seem so special anymore. I say, run the race with the music for the extra motivation and energy, but don't over do the music beforehand so it still seems like a novelty!

Mary said...

Late to the party but I have run both of my marathons without. I like getting into that peaceful zone and I am not sure I could do it with music. That being said, whatever works for you is what you should do...

bobbi said...

I prefer to run with music, no matter what. I always have it at a really low volume though, so I can chat and hear what's going on around me. In Chicago last year, I had it on the whole time, but could probably only hear it about a third of the time, because the crowd noise was so intense.