FINALLY.
This training plan has completely put me through the wringer, so the taper couldn't have come at a more perfect time!
Today, Matt and I completed our final big run before the taper : a 22 miler. The wind was light and the skies didn't spew anything cold and wet at us. The day was pretty perfect for a run. After we fueled up on coffee on the way to the trail, we were ready. I planned to run at a "sustainable forever" pace rather than my marathon goal pace and go the last five miles at or faster than my goal pace. By mile 10, my stomach was cramping so hard that I wasn't sure which end something vile was going to come spewing. I crouched down on the roadside, not sure whether to scream or cry. "Why can't I have just one good long run before this race? Is that too much to ask?" My inner drama queen soared as I whined aloud to myself.
After a really disgusting poop in a campground portapotty at Clam Beach, I felt better. My knee froze up while I was in the john and the first few strides were extremely stiff. A runner driving out of the campground parking lot saw my horrible limping and asked if we needed a ride. I just told her that my leg usually stiffens up really badly when I stop during a run, but it would go away. She shot me a condescending look, convinced that my leg would snap off if I continued to run like that, then she drove away. I stretched a little and my leg was okay to run on. By mile 15, Matt commented on how little we had been walking. I couldn't believe how much energy I had. Averaging a 9:20 each mile and I wasn't even pushing that hard. When we got to mile 20, in 3:06, I picked up the pace. The last two miles were 9:06 and 8:32. A group of cyclists rode by during the last mile at the exact moment I shouted our 21 miles to Matt. I heard one comment to the others, "wow they're going pretty fast". I was darn happy.
A rough start to the run, but it turned out being great. I was glad to be hitting the taper to race day as well as finally getting the confidence boost I needed. I've renewed faith in my goal time and have a plan figured out for the race : starting pace, when to pick it up, and I've decided to use my iPod for the final 10K (Thanks for your help!). We'll see what happens. :) ( don't think I'll use coffee)
Here are some numbers from the entire training cycle, which started Jan 1 :
537 miles.
19 of those runs were 10 miles or longer.
8 of those runs were 15 miles or longer.
4 of those runs were 20 miles or longer.
It took me 80 hours, 6 minutes, and 33 seconds to complete.
That is an average of 8:57/mi.
......and I think it might be nap time now.... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment