Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Epiphany

Summertime is usually a time of manic sleep patterns and an abundance of energy. This year seems different. I lack motivation to go out backpacking, exploring anywhere outside of Fairbanks. I've been trying to figure out why, but have come up empty handed, a confused look on my face. Until today.

At first I thought I was just settling into Alaska, not really excited to see new places because I'm very near to finishing off my adventure to-do list. Then I finally realized, I needed to change my perspective and planning a little. I never really liked carrying a 30 lb pack on my back. It slowed me down a lot and every step became a laborious effort. Today I had an epiphany, combine loves of hiking and running into what some call "fast packing". It's basically running until terrain forces you to walk. You cover more miles in less time, get a run in, and lets you get home at night where a cozy bed, warm meal, shower, and ice pack are waiting. It also eliminates the 30 lb pack, horrayyy!! You're out less time, so you need less clothes, less food, no tent, no sleeping bag.. heck yes! Our inaugural fast-pack trip is scheduled for Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: